OUR WEE COUNTRY
Clint

Euro 2020 Qualifying Draw

Who makes the play-off is based on performance in the Nations League, rather than in actual Euro 2020 qualifying.

As it stands, 16 teams have already won a place in the play-off stage.

They are the winners of each Nations League group:

Switzerland, Portugal, Netherlands, England, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Ukraine, Denmark, Sweden, Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Finland, Georgia, Macedonia, Kosovo, Belarus.

But if they go through automatically?...

If one of those 16 teams already in the play-offs wins an automatic spot for Euro 2020, their play-off place will of course have to go to somebody else.

It will be taken up will be taken by the next best-ranked team in their Nations League tier.

So for example - if England qualify, their play-off spot could end up with Iceland - assuming they have failed to also qualify.

Effectively this means that there will be a place for a team from each tier of the Nations League:

From the bottom tier, one of Georgia, Macedonia, Kosovo and Belarus will definitely be at the finals.

When do we know the exact dates??

17 minutes ago, SectionE said:

Which matchdays do we not have fixtures? 

We wont know until the fixtures are published but see below.

15 minutes ago, BringBackShaggy said:

June.

The one month we cannot have a free date is June. Holland will have no fixtures in June as they are playing Nations League finals.

5 minutes ago, The Laird said:

We wont know until the fixtures are published but see below.

The one month we cannot have a free date is June. Holland will have no fixtures in June as they are playing Nations League finals.

Ah. Yes. We will play in June then.

10 minutes ago, mervillegawa said:

Who makes the play-off is based on performance in the Nations League, rather than in actual Euro 2020 qualifying.

As it stands, 16 teams have already won a place in the play-off stage.

They are the winners of each Nations League group:

Switzerland, Portugal, Netherlands, England, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Ukraine, Denmark, Sweden, Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Finland, Georgia, Macedonia, Kosovo, Belarus.

But if they go through automatically?...

If one of those 16 teams already in the play-offs wins an automatic spot for Euro 2020, their play-off place will of course have to go to somebody else.

It will be taken up will be taken by the next best-ranked team in their Nations League tier.

So for example - if England qualify, their play-off spot could end up with Iceland - assuming they have failed to also qualify.

Effectively this means that there will be a place for a team from each tier of the Nations League:

From the bottom tier, one of Georgia, Macedonia, Kosovo and Belarus will definitely be at the finals.

They don't half make it complicated!

So Switzerland, Portugal, Netherlands, England, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Ukraine, Denmark, Sweden, Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Finland, Georgia, Macedonia, Kosovo, Belarus are already in the playoffs.

Group A: England, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Montenegro, Kosovo.

Group B: Portugal, Ukraine, Serbia, Lithuania, Luxembourg.

Group 😄Netherlands, Germany, Northern Ireland, Estonia, Belarus.

Group 😧Switzerland, Denmark, Republic of Ireland, Georgia, Gibraltar.

Group E: Croatia, Wales, Slovakia, Hungary, Azerbaijan.

Group F: Spain, Sweden, Norway, Romania, Faroe Islands, Malta.

Group G: Poland, Austria, Israel, Slovenia, Macedonia, Latvia.

Group H: France, Iceland, Turkey, Albania, Moldova, Andorra.

Group I: Belgium, Russia, Scotland, Cyprus, Kazakhstan, San Marino.

Group J: Italy, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Finland, Greece, Armenia, Liechtenstein

you'd reckon about 8 of these will qualify directly without then needing their play off place which will be passed down the line. I haven't looked into it but I can't see that that will benefit us. However, some teams (another 7?!?) who are ahead of us in the queue will not need these play off places to be passed to them due to also qualifying directly. Does anybody know what number we are in the line for a playoff?

Otherwise we just have to hope Netherlands (and Belarus) put all their eggs in one basket in the fashion we did in the Nations League and look to qualify via playoffs instead of this group.

2 minutes ago, richboy said:

So Switzerland, Portugal, Netherlands, England, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Ukraine, Denmark, Sweden, Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Finland, Georgia, Macedonia, Kosovo, Belarus are already in the playoffs.

Group A: England, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Montenegro, Kosovo.

Group B: Portugal, Ukraine, Serbia, Lithuania, Luxembourg.

Group 😄Netherlands, Germany, Northern Ireland, Estonia, Belarus.

Group 😧Switzerland, Denmark, Republic of Ireland, Georgia, Gibraltar.

Group E: Croatia, Wales, Slovakia, Hungary, Azerbaijan.

Group F: Spain, Sweden, Norway, Romania, Faroe Islands, Malta.

Group G: Poland, Austria, Israel, Slovenia, Macedonia, Latvia.

Group H: France, Iceland, Turkey, Albania, Moldova, Andorra.

Group I: Belgium, Russia, Scotland, Cyprus, Kazakhstan, San Marino.

Group J: Italy, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Finland, Greece, Armenia, Liechtenstein

you'd reckon about 8 of these will qualify directly without then needing their play off place which will be passed down the line. I haven't looked into it but I can't see that that will benefit us. However, some teams (another 7?!?) who are ahead of us in the queue will not need these play off places to be passed to them due to also qualifying directly. Does anybody know what number we are i the line for a playoff?

Otherwise we just have to hope Netherlands (and Belarus) put all their eggs in one basket in the fashion we did in the Nations League and look to qualify via playoffs instead of this group.

What do you think we did in the NL?

21 minutes ago, shamrock rover said:

The only upside is that I finally get to see Holland in Belfast 

Only happened twice before, 1965 and 1975:

We won the first 2-1 in a WCQ - our only victory* over them:

https://www.11v11.com/matches/northern-ireland-v-netherlands-17-march-1965-228966/

Afaik, football in Holland was pretty much semi-pro in those days i.e. it wasn't until the Michels/Cruyff-led emergence in the late 60's which saw it go f-t, leading to the great Ajax, Feyenoord and international teams of the 70's onwards.

So that by the time the 2nd home game came around (lost 0-1), we were playing what was probably Holland's greatest ever team i.e. that which got to the WC Final in 1974 and 1978:

https://www.11v11.com/matches/northern-ireland-v-netherlands-12-october-1977-234458/

I was at the latter one, so I can say I say Cruyff and Best on the same pitch, though in truth, Cruyff was carrying an injury, whereas Best was merely being carried...

* - To date ;)

GPJim:

That was probably the wrong way of putting it, but it was clear from what Michael said a few times he wasn't that worried about the NL compared to the qualifiers. I'm not sure we could have done a lot different and but for luck, or lack thereof,  we could have ended up winning our group I suppose...

I'm just clinging to some hope that the Dutch (and Bellarussians) might not have their eye(s) on the ball.

shamrock rover:

Me too, although to be fair I'll probably end up missing it as it'll be midweek (impossible for me) or something...

1 minute ago, richboy said:

That was probably the wrong way of putting it, but it was clear from what Michael said a few times he wasn't that worried about the NL compared to the qualifiers. I'm not sure we could have done a lot different and but for luck, or lack thereof,  we could have ended up winning our group I suppose...

I'm just clinging to some hope that the Dutch (and Bellarussians) might not have their eye(s) on the ball.

I thought that's what you meant, but wasn't sure as that would be a pretty stupid attitude for us to take in my view.

If MON did indeed take that attitude, well how fcuking big a mistake was that now. One we're not suffering for, and will likely continue to suffer for down the line. 

1 hour ago, The Dowie said:

Switzerland, Denmark, Georgia and Azer is what we'd have had if that switch with Team 33 hadn't happened

What do your mean The Dowie? I got back from my wee girls swimming lesson just before Belarus were drawn (I was peering at the wee flegs in the background, hoping my eyesight wasn't as good as it was. Unfortunately I had it spot on.) so I missed most of it.

i still can't believe Robbie Keane was allowed to be involved in it.

9 minutes ago, richboy said:

As I saw it, it wasn't that Michael didn't want to win our NL group - he was taking it seriously enough imo.

However, his main priority was bedding-in new young players and establishing a new style of play, in the knowledge that the EC Qualifiers (proper) gave us (ahem) a backstop.

(At least they did until we saw the feckin draw :thumbdown: )