OUR WEE COUNTRY

5 minutes ago, richboy said:

What do your mean The Dowie? I got back from my wee girls swimming lesson just before Belarus were drawn (I was peering at the wee flegs in the background, hoping my eyesight wasn't as good as it was. Unfortunately I had it spot on.) so I missed most of it.

i still can't believe Robbie Keane was allowed to be involved in it.

The RoI were drawn in Pot C, but were moved to Pot D as there were already hosts in Pot C.

We were drawn next - in Pot C

1 minute ago, EalingGreen said:

As I saw it, it wasn't that Michael didn't want to win our NL group - he was taking it seriously enough imo.

However, his main priority was bedding-in new young players and establishing a new style of play, in the knowledge that the EC Qualifiers (proper) gave us (ahem) a backstop.

(At least they did until we saw the feckin draw :thumbdown: )

That worked out well. :doh:

Yes, it sure did. :crying:

As for the RoI getting group C. Are you pulling my leg or is this true?

1 minute ago, GPJim said:

That worked out well. :doh:

The alternative was to stick with the Old Guard for the NL through 2018, and still not qualify via that route.

Then find that he had to make the transition to an attacking, possession-based game with new, young and inexperienced players in the ECQ's in 2019.

Of course, had he known the draw we were to get for the ECQ's, he might have chosen a different strategy, but then again, "if my Auntie Jane had balls etc"....

I still think the transition had to be made sometime, it's just now we're likely to be looking at 2022 rather than 2020.

Not a good draw but third and a play off is very achievable, in fact, thats what most people would expect. Michael wanted a five team group because of the double headers so I suppose it's one good thing! 

Just now, richboy said:

As for the RoI getting group C. Are you pulling my leg or is this true?

It's true, all right. 

1 minute ago, RichardM said:

Not a good draw but third and a play off is very achievable, in fact, thats what most people would expect. Michael wanted a five team group because of the double headers so I suppose it's one good thing! 

I thought there were no play offs for third place? 

Just now, exhausted said:

I thought there were no play offs for third place? 

Is there not? There was for Euro 2016 or has it changed? 

1 minute ago, RichardM said:

Is there not? There was for Euro 2016 or has it changed? 

I think so because of the nations league? 

5 minutes ago, EalingGreen said:

The alternative was to stick with the Old Guard for the NL through 2018, and still not qualify via that route.

Then find that he had to make the transition to an attacking, possession-based game with new, young and inexperienced players in the ECQ's in 2019.

Of course, had he known the draw we were to get for the ECQ's, he might have chosen a different strategy, but then again, "if my Auntie Jane had balls etc"....

I still think the transition had to be made sometime, it's just now we're likely to be looking at 2022 rather than 2020.

If we were hoping for qualification through the ECQs, then avoiding relegation was an absolute must. Our NL campaign was an abject failure and that's a factor why we're in the mess we are in. We should have been going all out to win our NL group against teams (supposed to be) at our level. 

1 minute ago, GPJim said:

...avoiding relegation was an absolute must...

Yes. Unfortunately for us Germany also got relegated. That would have worked out well if we hadn't.

7 minutes ago, exhausted said:

I think so because of the nations league? 

Ah balls, didn't know that. 

Im pretty sure  Michael did set out to wins games, the fact we didn't win them was because players couldn't put the ball in the net when it was needed. You cant blame Michael for that.

Why is everyone so negative about the draw. We get the chance to see and the players get the chance to play against some of the best players in the game. Yes we could play against some crap teams, win the games and think we are the dogs Bollocks when we are actually achieving nothing. It might be hard to accept the defeats but we wont improve as a team unless we play better opposition and learn from them. 

Plus we get to play Holland which is what i have always wanted to see us do [  the friendly doesn't count ] :owc: