OUR WEE COUNTRY

1 hour ago, Healy74 said:

I know we were shafted into the group with Germany and Holland, but Republic's group ain't much easier. Swiss and Denmark tough matches. 

Hard to see us going through automatically but amazing occasions that the fans and players ought to be up for. The expectations are slightly lowered now and that will suit us. In a perfect world we'll play Belarus and Estonia first two matches and get 6 points under our belts- that'll set things up nicely. 

We weren't shafted. We were drawn into Group C. OK, the team originally drawn into Group C had to be moved to another group (D), but were weren't moved into Group C because of that. That's how the draw works.

Now, we just have to go for it. No excuses. We almost certainly have to beat the Dutch and/or Germans at home to stand a chance. A big ask, but no point doing anything else other than give it a go and if we go out having at least tried, then so be it.

9 minutes ago, ARdsfc1 said:

More on this:

"However, should a nation already have qualified, their place will go to the next highest-ranked team from their Nations League tier. To confuse things further, that will not necessarily be the runners-up in their group".

See https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42719404

Oh ffs!!

We got i think an easy draw in the Nations cup and had a good chance of winning it and didn't win a match , this one is tough and we are not expected to qualify , who knows we are always better as underdogs , bring it on.

Being underdogs suits us.  We always struggle to score against the sh1te teams, as we proved in Dublin.

3 hours ago, ARdsfc1 said:

We do not get a play-off spot if Bosnia and Austria both make it through the Euro 2020 groups. The next best team in League B does that, not the best team in the group these two were in. We are the worst of all 12 teams in League B. We might get a play-off spot, but not because of Austria & Bosnia getting through. Is complicated as hell, though.

It really isn't that complicated at all. We need 16 or more teams out of League A & B to make the finals automatically, if that happens we are in the play-offs.

It is complicated though isn’t it Dave. Really it is. Compare it to ANY other football competition in the world that has ever been and I think you’ll find it really is complicated. And bollocks. That too. 

At least we can attempt to make amends for the two defeats against Estonia a few years ago.

8 minutes ago, RaveDave said:

It really isn't that complicated at all. We need 16 or more teams out of League A & B to make the finals automatically, if that happens we are in the play-offs.

Considering one team from League C and one from League D will make the finals, leaving 22 places, you'd think that could actually be possible. That's brightened my day a bit.

10 minutes ago, jcm said:

At least we can attempt to make amends for the two defeats against Estonia a few years ago.

That capitulation in Tallinn was the worst I’d witnessed until the Luxembourg debacle surpassed it. 

12 minutes ago, RaveDave said:

Alternatively if 8 or more from League B qualify we will also get a play off. Either will do.

3 hours ago, ARdsfc1 said:

More on this:

"However, should a nation already have qualified, their place will go to the next highest-ranked team from their Nations League tier. To confuse things further, that will not necessarily be the runners-up in their group".

See https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42719404

Sure, why would we want to take the NL league completely seriously then. :doh:

1 minute ago, bazza said:

That capitulation in Tallinn was the worst I’d witnessed until the Luxembourg debacle surpassed it. 

And our hotel room was burgled and she even took our match tickets the inconsiderate bitch.

Unfortunately we were able to get two more 🙄

17 minutes ago, RaveDave said:

Hope you're right as it will be a miracle if we finish first or second in the qualifying group.

Just now, stephenrowley1 said:

And our hotel room was burgled and she even took our match tickets the inconsiderate bitch.

Unfortunately we were able to get two more 🙄

I wish someone had nicked my tickets ffs!