OUR WEE COUNTRY

When are the Germans going to announce fixture location ?

Can somebody explain for me please, what is the greatest number of Pool A and B teams that can miss auotmatic qualification for us STILL to get a play-off?

Ta.

11 hours ago, AllyR said:

I've been gazing at my crystal balls.  Come back in a year and ask me for the lottery numbers because this is what's going to happen:

March 21 Estonia (H); win 2-1 yay top!

March 24 Belarus (H); win 3-0 YAY clear at top!

June 8 Estonia (A); draw 0-0 wobbly wheel but still ok.

June 11 Belarus (A); lose 0-1 oh f**k we're screwed.

Sept 9 Germany (H); lose 1-2 never liked football.

October 10 Holland (A); win 1-0 it's back on!  Just win the next one and we're flying.

November 16 Holland (H); lose 0-5 deflation. 

November 19 Germany (A); win 1-0 if only we hadn't...what do you mean, we're in a play-off!

11 minutes ago, NBWNI said:

Can somebody explain for me please, what is the greatest number of Pool A and B teams that can miss auotmatic qualification for us STILL to get a play-off?

Ta.

There are 24 pool A/B teams with 8 pool A/B playoff places available.

If 16 automatic qualification places come from pool A/B teams then the remaining 8 pool A/B teams will fill the other 8 play off places (we would be the last team to get a spot). 

Therefore we need at least 16 of the other pool A/B teams to gain automatic qualification for us to make the play offs. 

12 minutes ago, 74thminutewonder said:

If 16 automatic qualification places come from pool A/B teams then the remaining 8 pool A/B teams will fill the other 8 play off places (we would be the last team to get a spot). 

Therefore we need at least 16 of the other pool A/B teams to gain automatic qualification for us to make the play offs. 

Ok great thanks. I guess that cheers me up a little.

35 minutes ago, 74thminutewonder said:

Taking this further, if 17-20 automatic qualifiers are from Leagues A & B, we'd be in the play-offs with team(s) from League C

2 hours ago, 74thminutewonder said:

What are the 24 teams to get an idea on how realistic 16 of them will automatically qualify, are they the top 2 pots?  

Easyjet really are rats. I booked myself and 2 mates on for Amsterdam for £134 total, same flights are almost £2,000 this morning.

1 hour ago, dana82 said:

What are the 24 teams to get an idea on how realistic 16 of them will automatically qualify, are they the top 2 pots?  

All the 1st and 2nd seeds plus us, the South, Turkey and Slovakia made up Leagues A and B.

As a comparison, of the 9 groups in Euro 16 qualifying, only 11 of the 18 1st and 2nd seeds made it automatically- as well as Greece and Hungary, underperformers were Netherlands, Bosnia, Ukraine, Sweden and the South

4 hours ago, 74thminutewonder said:

Correct.  you also need all 20 qualifiers to come from Leagues A & B to get a home playoff.  

I would expect at least 16 of the 24 will make it.  Germany and the Dutch are (almost certainly) 2 for example if you don't qualify automatically.

Note there is also a small chance if less than 16 qualify provided more than 4 from League A miss out.  This is unlikely though.  

A Rep of Ireland v Northern Ireland playoff semi final is highly unlikely.  There is a possibility of a final meeting for a place in Euro2020 if both end up in the same playoff.  In that scenario the winners would join Group E in Dublin for the finals.  

5 minutes ago, gspain said:

I would expect at least 16 of the 24 will make it.  Germany and the Dutch are (almost certainly) 2 for example if you don't qualify automatically

Agreed- although comparison with 2016 suggests there could be a few shocks. Of the automatic qualifiers then in 1st or 2nd place, 4 were seeded #3, Wales at  #4 and Iceland, Albania and us at #5

1 hour ago, DerekNI said:

Easyjet really are rats. I booked myself and 2 mates on for Amsterdam for £134 total, same flights are almost £2,000 this morning.

There are still direct flights from Dublin to the 'Dam at the minute for less than a ton or via London for one hundred and fifty - anybody who pays that kind of money quoted needs certified.

3 minutes ago, stephenrowley1 said:

By the way is there NOBODY working today as everyone and his wife seems to be on 'booking.com' looking at hotels/hostels in the 'Dam!!

Booked our hotel last night, minutes after booking our flights. We stopped off in the Dam on our way to, and on our way back from, Rimini / San Marino last year, and so are staying in the hotel we picked last time (about 10 minutes' walk from the central train station, and has a great wee pub next door, which let us play all our GAWA music :owc::music:). The Dam ain't cheap for hotels, and they do seem to bump up the prices particularly at weekends (because of the numerous stag / hen weekends).