OUR WEE COUNTRY
Clint

Euro 2020 Qualifying Draw

I see the IFA have slipped in "Friendly TBA" for Sunday 13th October, a few days after the away game in Amsterdam. I'm assuming this will be the fixture to make up for being in a 5-team group?

3 minutes ago, KCNI said:

Booked our hotel last night, minutes after booking our flights. We stopped off in the Dam on our way to, and on our way back from, Rimini / San Marino last year, and so are staying in the hotel we picked last time (about 10 minutes' walk from the central train station, and has a great wee pub next door, which let us play all our GAWA music :owc::music:). The Dam ain't cheap for hotels, and they do seem to bump up the prices particularly at weekends (because of the numerous stag / hen weekends).

Cheers for that KCNI and as someone who has been in the 'Dam about twenty five times (believe it or not it used to be the  only international airport bar the Costas etc you could fly direct to from Belfast) as we used to fly there as a hub before moving on I'm only too aware of the price hikes. We had a 'Baldrick' plan for the game in Yugoslavia in '87 where we would fly to the 'Dam then get a train to Yugoslavia - we never left the 'Dam 😮

Hotel booked anyway - seven of us and it's a wee bit more than we would normally pay but it's a year away so what the hell (just stay away from the Bobbies!!).

Next task - Estonia and Belarus.

3 minutes ago, mervillegawa said:

I see the IFA have slipped in "Friendly TBA" for Sunday 13th October, a few days after the away game in Amsterdam. I'm assuming this will be the fixture to make up for being in a 5-team group?

+ another friendly on Friday 6th September, a few days before our home game with the Germans, I've just noticed.

"The play-off route is not closed to us. We hope the teams people expect to qualify do and if we can perform well, that is a possibility. It's based on our co-efficient more than the Nations League," explained O'Neill.

?

1 hour ago, stephenrowley1 said:

By the way is there NOBODY working today as everyone and his wife seems to be on 'booking.com' looking at hotels/hostels in the 'Dam!!

I'm not for staying in the Dam except for match night if that's where the game is. Been there enough times, thinking a couple of nights in s-Hertogenbosch instead.

12 minutes ago, norniron93 said:

How is everyone doing the Estonia leg of the double header? Will worry about Belarus after!

Dublin Oslo Tallinn on the Thursday, £75 today lunchtime.

3 hours ago, DerekNI said:

Easyjet really are rats. I booked myself and 2 mates on for Amsterdam for £134 total, same flights are almost £2,000 this morning.

Not sure what the timing of those flights are, but I can still see returns on various days and around match day for around £300 on Easyjet and KLM?

3 minutes ago, Richardh said:

I'm not for staying in the Dam except for match night if that's where the game is. Been there enough times, thinking a couple of nights in s-Hertogenbosch instead.

I was hoping that the game would be in Eindhoven Richard to be honest as I've been in the "Dam more times than I care to remember going back thirty five odd years but I'll just go with the flow.

The Keukenhof will unfortunately be closed by then but I'm sure we'll come up with something!!

19 minutes ago, Richardh said:

Dublin Oslo Tallinn on the Thursday, £75 today lunchtime.

Did you get that on skyscanner?

EDIT: just seen it, was hoping to arrive earlier in the day in Tallinn... current option seems to be fly to Helsinki and then ferry to Tallinn

9 minutes ago, norniron93 said:

Did you get that on skyscanner?

EDIT: just seen it, was hoping to arrive earlier in the day in Tallinn... current option seems to be fly to Helsinki and then ferry to Tallinn

Ferry is grand mate. Did it a few years ago. Similar to a trip to Cairnryan 

booked easyjet to Amsterdam got it for £200 last night. Mate going via Dublin for £118

Has it been confirmed that the game is in Amsterdam?

1 hour ago, Floreat Ultonia said:

Agreed- although comparison with 2016 suggests there could be a few shocks. Of the automatic qualifiers then in 1st or 2nd place, 4 were seeded #3, Wales at  #4 and Iceland, Albania and us at #5

True although one fewer group and there are a few 3rd seeds in the running here such as Turkey, Slovakia,RoI. 

Here is my take on the certainties or almost certainties

Group A England   

Group B Portugal

Group C Holland & Germany (or you won't care about a playoff)

Group D  2 of Switzerland, Denmark and RoI certain

Group E 2 of Croatia, Wales & Slovakia almost certain

Group F Spain

Group G Poland & Austria almost certain

Group H 2 of France, Iceland & Turkey certain

Group I Belgium and Russia almost certain

Group J Italy certain

The above 16 would guarantee a playoff if you don't take out the Dutch or Germans.

Now you may say Hungary could come through, Scotland may shock Russia, Israel might surprise.  We could have an Albania or someone come from nowhere

However I'm not counting on the Czech Republic to hold off Bulgaria or Montenegro.  I'm not counting on Ukraine to take Serbia out (2 very good sides here and Ukraine away would be a disaster in the playoffs football wise).  Sweden have a better than even chance v Romania (assuming Norway do nothing).  Bosnia must also be fancied ahead of Finland and Greece.      

52 minutes ago, Richardh said:

You're just showing off that you can spell it - next you'll be telling us you can pronounce it, too! :lol:

Anyhow, I've just googled it and it's better known as Den Bosch - home to the football team (and Ruud van Nistelrooy).

Sounds like it could be a good alternative to Amsterdam - an hour away by (v.frequent) train.

1 hour ago, norniron93 said:

How is everyone doing the Estonia leg of the double header? Will worry about Belarus after!

Flying to Helsinki, then a ferry over to Tallinn. Used that ferry in 2015 only in the opposite direction for our game with Finland and it was a gift.

Flying Tallinn-Riga-Minsk afterward, with Air Baltic.

8 minutes ago, EalingGreen said:

Sounds like it could be a good alternative to Amsterdam - an hour away by (v.frequent) train.

Utrecht and Amersfoort are very good alternatives to Amsterdam and a wee bit closer. Den Bosch was recommended to me by a local when I was in Amersfoort a couple of years ago.