OUR WEE COUNTRY

16 minutes ago, Richardh said:

Utrecht and Amersfoort are very good alternatives to Amsterdam and a wee bit closer, Den Bosch was recommended to me by a local when I was in Amersfoort a couple of years ago. 

Den Bosch is also handy enough if the game is in Rotterdam - v.frequent trains take an hour (incs. change in Breda)

EDIT: Similarly v.handy for Eindhoven too, though Netherlands only play there v.infrequently i.e. since hammering San Marino 11-0 there in September 2011, they've played in Amsterdam 29 times, Rotterdam 8 times and again in Eindhoven just once (lost 1-2 to Greece in September 2016):

http://www.rsssf.com/tablesn/ned-intres.html

Map of Netherlands cities

2 hours ago, Richardh said:

Utrecht and Amersfoort are very good alternatives to Amsterdam and a wee bit closer. Den Bosch was recommended to me by a local when I was in Amersfoort a couple of years ago. 

Amersfoort - I think I was last there about '83 so thanks for making me feel very old today Richard!!

14 minutes ago, gspain said:

Here is my take on the certainties or almost certainties

Group A England   

Group B Portugal

Group C Holland & Germany (or you won't care about a playoff)

Group D  2 of Switzerland, Denmark and RoI certain

Group E 2 of Croatia, Wales & Slovakia almost certain

Group F Spain

Group G Poland & Austria almost certain

Group H 2 of France, Iceland & Turkey certain

Group I Belgium and Russia almost certain

Group J Italy certain

I see a lot less certainty, for example:

B- three relatively strong teams, so none are guaranteed a top 2 place

D- why are RoI much more likely to qualify than Georgia? They're in form, you're setting out to draw every game 0-0 regardless of oppo. I'd say the only near certainly in this one is nil points for Gibraltar, which gives anyone else who can win a couple of other games a chance

E- only one really strong team and no real minnow, ie all 5 have a chance 

G-  no outstanding teams. I wouldn't tule out 5th seed Macedonia

H- on current form and given their resources Iceland are as likely to finish 4th as 2nd

I- Russia are better than Caledonia, but not to the point of certainty

Mad to think we could lose every game in the Nations League and every game in the qualifiers...but still end up in the play offs. 

4 hours ago, mervillegawa said:

Flying to Helsinki, then a ferry over to Tallinn. Used that ferry in 2015 only in the opposite direction for our game with Finland and it was a gift.

Flying Tallinn-Riga-Minsk afterward, with Air Baltic.

I see a few people booking that riga route, don't think I even looked for that, just flying tallinn to villnius and will train it from there, should be handy and very cheap flight.

We need some new travel forums opened  😊

5 hours ago, Richardh said:

I'm not for staying in the Dam except for match night if that's where the game is. Been there enough times, thinking a couple of nights in s-Hertogenbosch instead.

Dublin Oslo Tallinn on the Thursday, £75 today lunchtime.

I'm considering going somewhere else also, was keen to go to The Hague if we had got a fixture during the summer season as it apparently is a great spot. October will be a bit off season

Booked hotels in Amsterdam and Rotterdam with free cancellation 

all bases covered 

5 minutes ago, J.Q. said:

Booked hotels in Amsterdam and Rotterdam with free cancellation 

all bases covered 

Short train journey anyway JQ so no big deal either way.

By the way had you any hassle on that train down to Dublin for the game?

Not a bit Stephen. 

Train was a fair mix of us and them. No hassle, no banter even, just kinda ignored each other with the odd polite nod of the head. 

Train between Amsterdam and Rotterdam is dead on. They upgraded the line a few years back. 

BUY A TICKET FOR INTERCITY DIRECT TRAIN

Cost you about €2.50 extra but takes 40 mins as opposed to an hour and quarter 

33 minutes ago, J.Q. said:

Not a bit Stephen. 

Train was a fair mix of us and them. No hassle, no banter even, just kinda ignored each other with the odd polite nod of the head. 

Train between Amsterdam and Rotterdam is dead on. They upgraded the line a few years back. 

BUY A TICKET FOR INTERCITY DIRECT TRAIN

Cost you about €2.50 extra but takes 40 mins as opposed to an hour and quarter 

Good to hear JQ :clapping:

5 hours ago, the_hawk said:

Mad to think we could lose every game in the Nations League and every game in the qualifiers...but still end up in the play offs. 

It’s so much easier to qualify than it used to be.  24 teams - that’s nearly half of UEFA. 

On 12/2/2018 at 1:56 PM, RichardM said:

Holland have been transformed under Koeman recently and I would think they might win the group, its between ourselves and Germany for second spot and this could be the best time in a long time to play them. Joachim Loew has definitely overstayed his welcome and this is a German side that needs rebuilding so I fancy our chances, especially in Belfast. A five team group will also prove beneficial given our squad size and double headers, I wouldn't write us off just yet. 

Germany will win the group. Form may be temporary but class is permanent

1 minute ago, Simon-613 said:

Germany will win the group. Form may be temporary but class is permanent

I remember seeing that on a banner along with another one saying 'come back when you've won nineteen' at a certain football ground I was at about twenty years ago and we all know how that turned out 🤗

19 hours ago, gspain said:

True although one fewer group and there are a few 3rd seeds in the running here such as Turkey, Slovakia,RoI. 

Here is my take on the certainties or almost certainties

Group A England   

Group B Portugal

Group C Holland & Germany (or you won't care about a playoff)

Group D  2 of Switzerland, Denmark and RoI certain

Group E 2 of Croatia, Wales & Slovakia almost certain

Group F Spain

Group G Poland & Austria almost certain

Group H 2 of France, Iceland & Turkey certain

Group I Belgium and Russia almost certain

Group J Italy certain

The above 16 would guarantee a playoff if you don't take out the Dutch or Germans.

Now you may say Hungary could come through, Scotland may shock Russia, Israel might surprise.  We could have an Albania or someone come from nowhere

However I'm not counting on the Czech Republic to hold off Bulgaria or Montenegro.  I'm not counting on Ukraine to take Serbia out (2 very good sides here and Ukraine away would be a disaster in the playoffs football wise).  Sweden have a better than even chance v Romania (assuming Norway do nothing).  Bosnia must also be fancied ahead of Finland and Greece.      

Thnaks for this Gary. Really isn't within the realms of possibility then that we will still get a playoff spot even if finish 3rd. Unreal. I'd say there are 13 x certainties there, so we would just need 3 more. 

15 hours ago, Taz said:

I see a few people booking that riga route, don't think I even looked for that, just flying tallinn to villnius and will train it from there, should be handy and very cheap flight.

We need some new travel forums opened  😊

You need a visa if you train it from Vilnius to Minsk. This would not be the case if you arrived in Minsk by plane.