OUR WEE COUNTRY

51 minutes ago, the_hawk said:

So, being in a group of 5, that'll give us 2 free matchdays that we must fill with friendlies.  I assume there'd only be about 4 or 5 other UEFA nations not playing those days, anyone worked them out yet or will I get a spreadsheet out later?

Is it known for definite that these free dates have to be filled with friendlies?

And if so, do they have to be against other UEFA teams?

From what he says, I'd have thought Michael would prefer a free date on the Thursday before the home Germany game on Mon.9th September (to work on specific tactics).

And as for the away game vs. Netherlands on Thursday 10th October, I don't see how another friendly on the following Sunday or Monday would be either beneficial or desirable. 

Friendlies have to be played on free dates, i'm not sure whether we are limited to UEFA members or not.

September: we're playing on the following Monday so a friendly would need to be on Thursday or Friday against a team with a similar gap to their own next fixture. So the possibilities are: Montenegro (A), Luxembourg (B), Georgia (D, Thursday only),  Hungary (E, Thu only).

As already posted by Nigel 82😂

51 minutes ago, Nigel82 said:

I think that we are missing matchdays 5 and 8, so if I have worked this out the potential friendly opponents would be:

Matchday 5: Georgia, Hungary, Montenegro, Luxembourg

Matchday 8: Slovakia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Luxembourg.

Cheers! Much appreciated.

I can't remember where I read that a friendly HAD to be played, but I'm pretty sure it's a "thing".

There's nothing to stop us playing a non-UEFA team on this date, but it's more likely than not, unless we line up another Qatar in Crewe...or heaven forbid Canada!

35 minutes ago, the_hawk said:

Cheers! Much appreciated.

I can't remember where I read that a friendly HAD to be played, but I'm pretty sure it's a "thing".

There's nothing to stop us playing a non-UEFA team on this date, but it's more likely than not, unless we line up another Qatar in Crewe...or heaven forbid Canada!

From the Euro 2020 regulations: 

Article 5 Duties of the associations

k. to arrange and play friendly matches on dates left available to their teams within the international windows after UEFA has established the fixture list;

Article 25 Friendly matches

25.01 Friendly matches organised within the framework of the centralisation of
commercial rights are also played on the dates listed on the 2018-20 National
Team Match Calendar (see Annex A).

25.02 Under the supervision of the UEFA administration, the participating teams must
make the necessary arrangements so that friendly matches are organised on the
dates when such teams are not involved in competition matches.

25.03 Friendly matches must be cancelled or postponed if needed for rescheduling
abandoned or cancelled competition matches.

This document, detailing every single fixture, also points out which teams are free for friendlies on each matchday:

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/Draws/02/58/62/00/2586200_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Always an odd number and just one team free during NL matches in June, so at least one will have to play non-uefa team. From the free teams Luxembourg would seem a likely choice for one of them. Wouldn't want a top team before Germany and after Netherlands doesn't really matter but being nearby Luxembourg away makes sense.

As per the regulations above the friendlies are mandated.  You can either agree to play one of the teams or UEFA will tell you who you are playing.  It is included as part of the tv contract. 

To allow for the odd numbers a country from another confederation will be included.  Switzerland and Iceland got to play glamour friendlies v Qatar last month.  Iceland v Qatar was staged in the Kehrweg Stadium in Eupen in Belgium. 

It normally seems to fall one home and one away but Poland played 2 home friendlies this Autumn.  I'm sure you will want a home game in September and will gladly travel after the Dutch game in October.  

Are any tickets left? Sure to be a big attraction for any fans who might be worried about getting tickets for Germany and The Netherlands

1 minute ago, GPJim said:

Are any tickets left? Sure to be a big attraction for any fans who might be worried about getting tickets for Germany and The Netherlands

Says tickets won't be on sale until next summer, so there'll be a few people disappointed not to have a ticket for this in their stocking on Christmas morning.

Rubbish friendly.  Tickets would need to be cheap and freebies handed out to youth groups to get a half respectable crowd.