OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
Clint

Euro 2020 Qualifying Draw

So Germans in pot 2! Who's making the draw, where do we send the brown envelope to?

Jumped the gun, Poland still to play so still pot 1 at the minute.

Edited by Huntsman88

Based on the likely groups we definitely want to avoid Germany. I think we'd have a great chance of qualifying from a  5 team group containing England, Iceland, Lithuania and Gibraltar. We can upset England in Belfast (draw) and Iceland are on the decline.

From a travelling and/or teams/countries I'd like to see or return to point of view, I'd be happy with Holland, anyone in pot 2 bar Russia or Ukraine, Estonia, Gibraltar and Malta.

2 minutes ago, Tarabonga said:

Based on the likely groups we definitely want to avoid Germany. I think we'd have a great chance of qualifying from a  5 team group containing England, Iceland, Lithuania and Gibraltar. We can upset England in Belfast (draw) and Iceland are on the decline.

You think?

England are on a roll just now, I'd say there are a few other top seeds we'd be better off with.

2 minutes ago, EalingGreen said:

You think?

England are on a roll just now, I'd say there are a few other top seeds we'd be better off with.

Agreed. The pace in the current England team would destroy us right now.

I'd only be happy with England from a travel perspective. Other than that I'm just happy I can still say "the last time we played them we bate them", which won't be the case if we get them in the next qualifiers.

From the pots as they stand (according to wiki) I'd go

1. Switzerland - being petty, but I now just want them to lose every game now and I would love them to lose twice to us.

2. Wales - easier for me to get to Cardiff than Belfast. I'd also like to bate them (for once)

3. NI

4. Cyprus? - Not sure about pot 4 as there are some teams that could be difficult enough. I've never been to Cyprus although to be fair though there's a few of the countries in this pot I've not been to..

5. Gibraltar - again, not been although I assume they are playing in the Algarve again (which I have been to). Surely a walkover...

(6). Andorra - not been and I don't recall playing them before.

16 minutes ago, richboy said:

1. Switzerland - being petty, but I now just want them to lose every game now and I would love them to lose twice to us.

The four teams who've qualified for the Nations League finals, i.e. Switzerland, England, Netherlands and Portugal, will be in the five team groups. (So we couldn't get Switzerland and Andorra as you'd like above)

They're nothing special, but I can see them beating everyone else in that mythical group home and away. I just think that we could get another result against them.

8 minutes ago, Richardh said:

The four teams who've qualified for the Nations League finals, i.e. Switzerland, England, Netherlands and Portugal, will be in the five team groups. (So we couldn't get Switzerland and Andorra as you'd like above)

Ok. That makes sense in terms of match schedules for the NL finalists. Don't know if we're better off in a 5 team group or 6?

As for Gibraltar, thanks Hughes18. Have they now sorted their stadium or is it in the process? I thought there was something about its location which UEFA / FIFA didn't like on top of the state of it?!? Maybe I dreamt that.

44 minutes ago, richboy said:

Ok. That makes sense in terms of match schedules for the NL finalists. Don't know if we're better off in a 5 team group or 6?

As for Gibraltar, thanks Hughes18. Have they now sorted their stadium or is it in the process? I thought there was something about its location which UEFA / FIFA didn't like on top of the state of it?!? Maybe I dreamt that.

Yeah I checked last night as I'd been wondering myself. Victoria Stadium, holds 2,000. Would absolutely love to see the IFA allocate 100 tickets for that.

They've played Latvia, Macedonia, Liechtenstein and Armenia there this year.

I could be wrong but i don't think Gibraltar is allowed to use the Victoria stadium for the Euros, they were given special dispensation for the Nations League due to the small attendances expected. They are due to start the renovation process early in 2019 to turn it into an 8,000 seater stadium.