OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
chopper1

Line up/Match Thread

40 minutes ago, dane said:

He was absolutely brutal tonight. Saw so much of the ball during the game and did absolutely nothing with it. 

He set up a goal ffs. He might not have been brilliant but he looked our most dangerous attacker IMO.

I thought he looked like he has the basic attributes and just needs to work on decision making. Didn't think he was as bad as made out here. Having said that Whyte is a similar player at an earlier stage of development so maybe more potential there.

2 minutes ago, hughes18 said:

He set up a goal ffs. He might not have been brilliant but he looked our most dangerous attacker IMO.

He was our most involved forward but I wouldn’t say dangerous.  He was predictable. Very poor performance. I was hoping O’Neill would swap McGinn over for a bit but it didn’t happen

O’Neill has an awful lot to ponder before the qualifiers come around in March. 

Absolutely sickening to lose a game that way. The referee was appalling too - there were a few decisions, such as the foul on Saville just outside the box which were frankly disgraceful. I hope Michael doesn’t regret using these games to experiment. Sadly the one experiment he didn’t try was two up front. On the plus side we played some good football too. I don’t think we are too far off the finished article. Maybe Grigg is the piece that the jigsaw is missing.

Just have to agree with what has already been said. For a 'nothing' game, there was nothing to lose trying two up front, although Grigg is the one you'd want beside Boyce. Even if McGinn had been playing just behind him as a '10'. Boyce works hard, but needs someone closer to him' he 's never going to out jump a defence, or run onto one over the top.

Jones - shocking decision making for their second goal, he had 2-3 players to his right. But he was making the wrong choices all night. Granted, sometimes it didn't help Dallas running into his space.

Didn't think Davis played that bad, until the last 10 minutes or so, when no doubt he was suffering from the lack of game time.

It's not as often Corey Evans is as noticeable. Saville I think needs a goal, after so many near misses.

The big positive - Michael Smith.

13 minutes ago, dmcc_gfc said:

I thought he looked like he has the basic attributes and just needs to work on decision making.

Agreed. Jones gets into good positions when receiving the ball but then has no zip to his runs (in contrast to Paul Smyth), slowing down/dilly-dallying before the whole move breaks down. We missed Jamal Lewis tonight and there is way too much chopping and changing at the moment in general. We should have had our first eleven for both matches regardless of what club managers requested.

14 minutes ago, leo said:

Just have to agree with what has already been said. For a 'nothing' game, there was nothing to lose trying two up front, although Grigg is the one you'd want beside Boyce. Even if McGinn had been playing just behind him as a '10'. Boyce works hard, but needs someone closer to him' he 's never going to out jump a defence, or run onto one over the top.

Jones - shocking decision making for their second goal, he had 2-3 players to his right. But he was making the wrong choices all night. Granted, sometimes it didn't help Dallas running into his space.

Didn't think Davis played that bad, until the last 10 minutes or so, when no doubt he was suffering from the lack of game time.

It's not as often Corey Evans is as noticeable. Saville I think needs a goal, after so many near misses.

The big positive - Michael Smith.

You can't blame Jones for their 2nd goal. Dallas gave the ball away near the half-way line.

Their goal was scored in the 3rd minute of injury time. We were robbed as there were only 2 minutes of added time there were no stoppages. 

4 minutes ago, GPJim said:

Dallas gave the ball away the ball away near the half-way line

3 minutes ago, hughes18 said:

The second goal was Dallas' fault. Plenty of time passed after Jones lost the ball.

Gotta agree with this. Watched the highlights when I got home and it was Dallas at fault for the 2nd goal.

Looked like Davis missed a tackle for the first one too.

16 minutes ago, hughes18 said:

Very true, everytime he got the ball he looked to set somebody up, it took him a while to get into the game but he'll definitely get better, still very inexperienced which is why Michael kept him on, winning his 5th cap, he'll get better. 

14 minutes ago, leo said:

Our formation is a 4-3-3 so there is no point playing 2 up front, Michael maybe having a look at different personel but he knows what formation he is wants to play, he has tried a 3-5-2 before but ended up abandoning it and a 4-4-2 is dead in top level football nowadays, everyone wants to have the 3 in the middle of the park, switching to a 2 in there would mean losing the middle of the park. The problem isn't playing Boyce as the focal point of the attack, the problem is the wide forwards are not coming into central areas at times and linking with him they are playing more as conventional wingers than wide forwards.

7 minutes ago, RichardM said:

Very true, everytime he got the ball he looked to set somebody up, it took him a while to get into the game but he'll definitely get better, still very inexperienced which is why Michael kept him on, winning his 5th cap, he'll get better. 

The only thing that frustrated me with Jones was his refusal to shoot, my seat is low down in the Kop and on 2-3 occasions in the 2nd half you could see him opening up a half yard of space to get a shot off but not wanting to take it.

Davis had a decent game but the last 10 mins him & us were terrible giving the ball away too easily, had plenty of attackog posiiton from corners & free kicks delivery in the box was crap

Re Jones, good impact sub any other games he has played well for us imo, Ward is a big loss

Thought Saville had s great 2nd half and one of the Austrians should have had a 2nd booking and red card which would have changed the game

Glad the nations league's over we've had no luck at all!