OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
chopper1

Line up/Match Thread

Not sure what Saville said to the referee but he could have been shot and wouldnt have won a free kick

Thought Jones was decent on Thursday and ok tonight. The pace of him and Whyte is our future in this formation.

We looked fatigued in the last ten. 

Once again we played well, not as well as Thursday but this was superior opposition. I actually thought Jones did well for the most part- played without fear and not afraid to take defenders on. I think we suffered having Dallas playing further back and standing in for Lewis. I thought Boyce should’ve come off long before he did- he didn’t look particularly up for it and challenged for little aerially. 

Have to say that the atmosphere tonight night was the worst it’s been in quite some time. I think we forget how much a team our size depends on it. There’s been more vocal nights at friendlies against inferior opposition during the past ten years. Looking down on the Kop too the ‘sea of green’ looks like a thing of the past too now. Couldn’t believe the booing from some fans at FT!

9 minutes ago, GPJim said:

1zfj0xw.png

More possession yet over 100 less passes completed.

Looking at that we really need to be taking more from corners. 

Playing a stupid pointless game against the Beggars a few days before this game didn’t help our cause any.

It's not easy being green (and white) at the minute.

I thought it was a reasonably even game for 80 minutes. It started to get a bit worrying in the last 10, culminating in their winner.

As for the players themselves. Carson had nothing to do, apart from pick the ball out of the net. Smith looked good. McAuley looked a bit rusty, but did OK. Evans was good. Dallas did rightly coming forward, but isn't a full back. The midfield three looked decent. Jones tried hard, but was well marshalled. McGinn didn't do much, free kick aside. Boyce was a bit isolated. The subs didn't really do much.

Keep the faith. Roll on the draw, and bring on the first qualifier.

57 minutes ago, Drew said:

We had 18 corners against Bosnia at home, which is a freakish amount in football..ie it almost never happens within 90 minutes, and we did nothing with them. That is a major problem, amongst others. Absolutely gutted tonight! And more than a little angry with both Jones and Dallas ....unforgiveable, with seconds to go. Atmosphere poor too, drunken ballbags with zero interest in actual football can get to f*ck

2 hours ago, GPJim said:

1zfj0xw.png

More possession yet over 100 less passes completed.

BBC has NI 43%, Austria 57%

They also have Austria with 10 shats

1 hour ago, richboy said:

They also have Austria with 10 shats

They may had too much Guinness

Slightly disheartened after yesterdays game.

Disappointed with the atmosphere from not far off a full house.  It was poor.  The South Korea friendly had a better atmosphere.

Missed Jamal Lewis which is abit ridiculous since he's only been with us 5 minutes.  Jones is perhaps more suited to coming in off the bench.  Boyce had some nice bits of play in the 1st half but the centre back had the beating of him with the big hoofs up to him and he got zero joy as the game went on.  Lafferty should have come on earlier.

Last 10 minutes we began to struggle badly.  Fatigue from big players not playing week in week out?  Worrying if the team are going to be like that in future qualifiers.

The players are clearly doing their best but we're in a non-winning rut with little cutting edge up front.  Hopefully the break (to March?) will help us and everyone will come back with positive mentality.

11 hours ago, Drew said:

We have two corner options at the minute: 1) Load the box, play it short, then back to half way line 2) hit it in waist high for the first defender to clear.

6 minutes ago, Rod said:

Slightly disheartened after yesterdays game.

Disappointed with the atmosphere from not far off a full house.  It was poor.  The South Korea friendly had a better atmosphere.

Missed Jamal Lewis which is abit ridiculous since he's only been with us 5 minutes.  Jones is perhaps more suited to coming in off the bench.  Boyce had some nice bits of play in the 1st half but the centre back had the beating of him with the big hoofs up to him and he got zero joy as the game went on.  Lafferty should have come on earlier.

Last 10 minutes but we began to struggle badly.  Fatigue from big players not playing week in week out?  Worrying if the team are going to be like that in future qualifiers.

The players are clearly doing their best but we're in a non-winning rut with little cutting edge up front.  Hopefully the break (to March?) will help us and everyone will come back with positive mentality.

Fair assessment there. I’d agree, that loss was a real downer after losing a few games we should have done better in. It’s not been a great year for us. 

Let’s see what the Euro Qualifiers bring 

I didn't think it was still possible for me to get angry by a performance and moreso a result. Last night proved otherwise. 

It's like Euro 2016 and World Cup campaign never happened, and we've picked up from when we lost to Luxembourg. All the problems we had then, we still have. No plan B from the manager, the stubborn instance in playing 1 up front and stupid, stupid mistakes. Quite what Stuart Dallas thought he was doing before Austria scored the winner is anyone's guess. 

If the results from the last year are any indicator, then we're in for a sticky Euro 2020 qualifying campaign.

Very poor going forward, I thought Jones was dreadful and McGinn pretty ineffectual too.

Thought Smith was good again and Corry Evans played much better than usual.

Whats exciting about jones is that he tries to play direct and to take on defenders and beat them. Its great when its works, but ofcourse he loses possession when it doesnt.

Was the same with paddy mccourt.

Either we want players to attack or we dont.