OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
chopper1

Line up/Match Thread

3 minutes ago, GOTW said:

Whats exciting about jones is that he tries to play direct and to take on defenders and beat them. Its great when its works, but ofcourse he loses possession when it doesnt.

Was the same with paddy mccourt.

Either we want players to attack or we dont. 

In fairness to Jones, he kept going and didn't hide when it went wrong.

I don't think it was a case of Jones being terrible, to me it was just inexperience. He's obviously quick and direct, but there's things you can probably get away with doing in the final third in the Scottish league that you can't do against an international fullback/defence. And he clearly found that out last night with the poor decisions he made.

One the other side, McGinn was ineffective. He was one of the more senior players in the starting eleven yet didn't seem to be showing for the ball. Maybe he got fed up during the first half, and the head dropped.

Regarding Corey Evans, it's not that he played better than he usually does, he just played more advanced than usual. It was more noticeable in the second half when Davis was dropping deep into the position usually occupied by Norwood, with Saville doing a lot of the chasing. Evans just seemed to have more freedom to push on last night. I haven't rewatched the highlights, but that was maybe allowed by their midfield. I'm not sure why the midfield three were set up like this, as we're more used to seeing Davis further up and being more effective in team possession further up the pitch, rather than starting the attacks off. Maybe it was Michael's decision to drop Davis further back to facilitate what Norwood usually does, so he either doesn't trust Evans/Saville to do that as effectively, or just wanted to mix things up a bit.

Further back, it was taking Carson ages to find options when he was looking to distribute the ball. Evans and McAuley were dropping wide of the box at goal kicks, with acres of space left dangerously vacant outside the D.

Overall, it was just a really frustrating game to watch. Hopefully the things Michael wanted to test during this mini campaign have given him the results to go into the next round of qualifying with the right plan. And I'm hoping two up front is part of that plan.

was it just my frustration or was it taking ages for us to take throw ins. Just didnt seem to have the urgency last night to win.

We also should have made the changes just after we scored, left it too long and was ineffective once the changes were made. 

Lafferty was effective for about 30 seconds after he came on (when he won the throwin) and then knocked on one decent header. Apart from that I don't remember any other positive contributions from the subs.

Didn't think it was all bad. Lacked some zip compared to recent performances.

Jones was disappointing for me, rather than crap. McGInn likewise, especially after a decent performance last time out.  Both centre forwards were not effective. Someone getting into form in that position is key to us getting better. Along with better finishing and decison making from those who support the lone striker. I don't see the manager changing his belief in using one up front. 

In the centre of the pitch we were resilient and creative. As is the norm. 

In attacking more there is no doubt that we are more open, and the last 15 minutes was tricky. But individual errors were our downfall, as has been the case with almost everything we have conceded this past three months. 

That little bit extra that we have found on winning days was missing. Dallas (?), Davis and Saville were all a bit lax for the first goal conceded. The lead up to the second has been well stated, but Smith was sucked in very narrow too giving Austria a big space to exploit. That little bit extra that we have found on winning days was missing.

Resting some players, and seemingly taking Thursday a little more seriously, may have reinforced a feeling that it wasn't such an important fixture. The lamer atmosphere perhaps too. 

I expect better from this team come the qualifiers. Hope I'm not being naive.

Carson didn't have much to do.

J Evans competent.

McAuley, sadly, was weeks off the pace and it showed (esp. early on).

Smith was poor IMO, esp. passing (aimlessly forward, out of play, or back to the keeper).

Dallas restricted by his position - he will be best for us more advanced

The middle 3 has great games I thought - particulary Davis who seemed to be everywhere.

Jones - he's direct, I'll give him that... but far from international standard. Some absolutely atrocious decision making.

McGinn - quiet game, expected a bit more.

Boyce - was hoping he'd continue decent run of form for us up top on his own, but he struggled yesterday

What's the deal with Conor McLaughlin? Why is MON continuously going for other options at RB?

After this Nations League campaign, the below would be my preferred starting XI for the Euro qualifiers.

BPF

McLaughlin, Cathcart, Evans, Lewis

Whyte*, Davis, Saville, McNair, Dallas

Boyce*

Depending upon the opposition there are players I'd change for Whyte and Boyce in the above.

Jones always looks like he hasn't got the brains to go with his speed and ability. Its one thing being fast and skilful but you have to be able to have an end product. Bit like Dallas at times. Its still very early yet with Jones, only his 5th cap i think so hopefully he can learn and improve. 

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned the absence of young Paul Smyth.... Anyone know the reason for his absence? I thought he had been called up.

37 minutes ago, Godfry said:

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned the absence of young Paul Smyth.... Anyone know the reason for his absence? I thought he had been called up.

Simple lack of first team game time for QPR, surely?

5 hours ago, ULSTERHEARTS said:

was it just my frustration or was it taking ages for us to take throw ins. Just didnt seem to have the urgency last night to win.

We also should have made the changes just after we scored, left it too long and was ineffective once the changes were made. 

If you were looking at one thing the great Michael could improve generally, it's the timing and impact of his use of the bench IMHO

1 minute ago, peteram79 said:

If you were looking at one thing the great Michael could improve generally, it's the timing and impact of his use of the bench IMHO

I was saying that last night. Especially when we are chasing a goal and the starting setup isn’t working.

It's understandable that some people are dismayed or frustrated, even angry (though I think that too strong).

But this is a team in transition, on three counts.

One: We've lost/are losing some important senior players, notably McAuley, Hughes, Brunt, McGovern, all defenders;

Two: Their replacements are all young and inexperienced;

Three: Due to the identity and positions of the players exiting and arriving, we can no longer rely on our traditional tactics of keeping a tight defence and hoping to nick wins by breakaways or set-pieces etc. Instead we are trying to develop a completely new possession/pressing style at the most difficult time, and against decent opposition at that.

The fact that we have not been thumped, or even outplayed, is a testament to what a job Michael is doing imo.

And if anyone thinks that rose-tinted, just think back to losing to Canada.  Or 3-0 at home to Iceland. Or twice in the space of a month to Estonia in qualifiers. Or 1-0 in Tirana in a friendly. Or drawing 1-1 in the Faroes. Or getting humped 6-0 in Holland. Or needing Big Maik to save a penalty to get us a scoreless draw in Malta. Or drawing with Barbados.

Those are just some examples off the top of my head.

None of our  four NL games remotely  resembled those horror shows.

"Onwards and Upwards!" :thumbsup:

Have every faith in Michael.... he would surely have taken the Scotland job if he didn't think he could take us any further.

He's obviously done his homework and believes that the players coming through are good enough... And the recent performances would bear this out.

He's ironing out any mistakes now so we'll be firing on all cylinders come March.