OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
chopper1

Line up/Match Thread

We used 26 players over the 6 matches (McGovern and Washington only in the friendlies). I'd say Michael is now set on at least 8 of the first-choice 11- BPF, Cathcart, Jonny, Lewis, Norwood, Davis, Saville, Dallas. So problem areas are a RB/ 3rd CB, RM/ 2nd striker,  and of course someone to find the onion beg ;)

33 minutes ago, Floreat Ultonia said:

We used 26 players over the 6 matches (McGovern and Washington only in the friendlies). I'd say Michael is now set on at least 8 of the first-choice 11- BPF, Cathcart, Jonny, Lewis, Norwood, Davis, Saville, Dallas. So problem areas are a RB/ 3rd CB, RM/ 2nd striker,  and of course someone to find the onion beg ;)

I would have said 8 out of 11 too, and I think he wants to get McNair into the team somewhere.

51 minutes ago, Floreat Ultonia said:

16 minutes ago, Richardh said:

I would have said 8 out of 11 too, and I think he wants to get McNair into the team somewhere.

I would agree with this also, but can't see where McNair gets in the side unless injury to Saville, Norwood or Davis. Not comfortable with him at right back. Might as well give him ago up front he's played everywhere else! 🤣

58 minutes ago, Floreat Ultonia said:

Good points.

I know he's 30, but I was quite impressed by Smith at RB on Sunday. 

24 minutes ago, Richardh said:

I think he wants to get McNair into the team somewhere.

Looks that way, but imo RB is the only obvious vacancy, and I personally am not at all persuaded he's up to it. Besides which, he's not really playing much for Boro (Smith is playing regularly and well for Hearts) and is always liable to get injured.

On 11/18/2018 at 10:01 PM, Drew said:

Looking at that we really need to be taking more from corners. 

agred, we had so many set piece situations wasted, the delivery in the box was so poor used to one of our strengths

surely McGovern & Hughesie will not play again, did not get a sniff in the 2 matches

Did  really miss Norwood at all? Really pleased for Smith he deserved his chance and could be 1st choice at RB

Its the front line thats the problem, Laffs should have stayed at Hearts playing & scoring regulary with his confidence high

22 minutes ago, chopper1 said:

Its the front line thats the problem, Laffs should have stayed at Hearts playing & scoring regulary with his confidence high

Tbh, while he had a decent season* at Hearts, it was the first such season he'd had in ages and even then, I get the clear impression they weren't too heartbroken to let him go. More to the point, when did he last have a good game for NI?

And even if he should get his mojo back (and he's already 31), I'm not persuaded he's the type of player Michael is looking for for his new formation. Because he's 7 foot, everyone assumes he can play the flute, er, play as a target man who leads the line etc.

But in truth, his first touch and lay-offs aren't that good, indeed he's not even anything special in the air.

By contrast, what he is excellent at is receiving the ball to his feet 40 yards out, running with it for 20 yards whilst he holds off the defenders and then banging it in from the edge of the box (see his goal in Athens, for a perfect example). Which skill is best suited to a defensive team which drops behind the ball, draws the opposition forward, and then is vulnerable to the break.

But these NL games and friendlies have shown that for better or worse, Michael has settled on a passing/pressing game, where we push up and compress the ball in the opposition's half. In such circumstances, Laff would have to choose between dropping off into an already crowded midfield if he's going to get the chance to run with the ball, or remaining up front, where he hasn't got the range of skills needed.

* - During that season, KL played the following NI games:

San Marino 0 v 3 NI

NI 1 v 3 Germany

Norway 1 v 0 NI

NI 0 v 1 Switzerland

He failed to score in any.

57 minutes ago, clark686 said:

I would agree with this also, but can't see where McNair gets in the side unless injury to Saville, Norwood or Davis. Not comfortable with him at right back. Might as well give him ago up front he's played everywhere else! 🤣

It would need to be injury or suspension to 2 from those 3. Corry Evans would be starting in midfield ahead of McNair.

Goes to show just how differently fans watching the same games can see things. Personally thought Smith was very dodgy at RB - can anyone enlighten me as to why McLaughlin is now being overlooked? Has he done something? Or is it lack of club game time? Would have him over Smith or McNair at RB all day.

He's been a good servant, but McNair should be taking Norwood's place for me. Same for Corry.

I really don't get the hate for Norwood.  Well liked at club level wherever he goes on loan and at interntationl level plays a role that allows our captain and best player to do his work further up the pitch.

38 minutes ago, mervillegawa said:

can anyone enlighten me as to why McLaughlin is now being overlooked?

He's looked completely out of form last few times he has played.

19 minutes ago, Richardh said:

He's looked completely out of form last few times he has played.

Do you mean for his club? Or the Bosnia game for NI in September?

Just think it's a strange one as he's being excluded in favour of Smith (who IMO is not up to the standard) or McNair (who is not a RB).

IMO there are other players in the squad equally 'out of form' or simply not getting a game at club level who are still being picked.

1 hour ago, karolkarol said:

I really don't get the hate for Norwood.  Well liked at club level wherever he goes on loan and at interntationl level plays a role that allows our captain and best player to do his work further up the pitch.

This. I thought we missed Norwood on Sunday.

43 minutes ago, mervillegawa said:

Just think it's a strange one as [McLaughlin's] being excluded in favour of Smith (who IMO is not up to the standard) or McNair (who is not a RB).

Conor has made just 5 league appearances for a struggling Millwall this season, inc only one since 19th September:

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=52387

43 minutes ago, mervillegawa said:

IMO there are other players in the squad equally 'out of form' or simply not getting a game at club level who are still being picked.

Perhaps they play in positions where we have fewer options than RB? (Unsure)

12 hours ago, Richardh said:

I think he wants to get McNair into the team somewhere.

I thought that too, but then he didn't take the opportunity (Norwood's absence) to do it.

11 hours ago, chopper1 said:

Did  really miss Norwood at all?

The three in central midfield played well, but we definitely missed Olly.

10 hours ago, mervillegawa said:

He's been a good servant, but McNair should be taking Norwood's place for me. Same for Corry.

So we drop the guy who was ever present in two of our most successful campaigns ever, and is currently earning rave reviews for Sheffield United, in favour of the guy who has done precious little in 20 odd caps and can't get a game for Middlesbrough?

Well, it's a thought I suppose. :blink:

10 hours ago, karolkarol said:

I really don't get the hate for Norwood. 

Currently undroppable IMHO.