OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
chopper1

Line up/Match Thread

12 hours ago, Clint said:

Jones reminds me of Ivan Sproule loads of pace etc but no real touch and no final ball at all very frustrating to watch!! Have to say Boyce has played well of late with very little support in role he has been asked to do.

1 hour ago, omaghexile said:

Jones reminds me of Ivan Sproule loads of pace etc but no real touch and no final ball at all

Competitive starts 1, assists 1.

15 hours ago, Clint said:

So we drop the guy who was ever present in two of our most successful campaigns ever, and is currently earning rave reviews for Sheffield United, in favour of the guy who has done precious little in 20 odd caps and can't get a game for Middlesbrough?

McAuley, Lafferty, McGovern etc. were ever present in those campaigns too, but don't think that it should guarantee them (or anyone) a start NOW.

He's having a strong season at Sheffield United, similar to when he had a strong seasons with other Championship clubs, but that doesn't necessarily translate into performances for Northern Ireland.

McNair has done precious little in 20 odd caps? I'd argue he hasn't done too badly considering he's being played out of position a lot of the time. He is athletic, comfortable on the ball, willing to take it forward, and has good set piece delivery. On all four of those attributes, I'd pip him ahead of Norwood.

I'm not saying Olly is a bad player, far from it, I'm just saying that given the change in personnel/style we are currently transitioning through, for me McNair is a better fit for the next campaign.

10 minutes ago, Huntsman88 said:

The only way Michael won't have Norwood in the starting XI for the first qualifier is if he is injured.

I think you're correct (and Michael is right).

The best team player is not always* the best player in the team, and Ollie offers vital continuity and consistency in a team which has seen a good deal of chopping and changing in the last few matches, as Michael refines his best selection, formation and tactics.

* - OK, Steven Davis is both these days, but the general point still stands.

2 hours ago, mervillegawa said:

McAuley, Lafferty, McGovern etc. were ever present in those campaigns too, but don't think that it should guarantee them (or anyone) a start NOW.

He started 50% of the qualifiers for Euro 2016.

8 hours ago, mervillegawa said:

No it shouldn't, and I wouldn't be defending Norwood if it wasn't for the fact that he's playing (very well by all accounts) week in week out.

He's having a strong season at Sheffield United, similar to when he had a strong seasons with other Championship clubs, but that doesn't necessarily translate into performances for Northern Ireland.

It has translated into performances for Northern Ireland, on a very regular basis.

McNair has done precious little in 20 odd caps? I'd argue he hasn't done too badly considering he's being played out of position a lot of the time. He is athletic, comfortable on the ball, willing to take it forward, and has good set piece delivery. On all four of those attributes, I'd pip him ahead of Norwood.

To be fair he has been played in a variety of positions, and the attributes you've listed are probably correct. I don't think they're sufficient to get him in ahead of Norwood though.

I'm not saying Olly is a bad player, far from it, I'm just saying that given the change in personnel/style we are currently transitioning through, for me McNair is a better fit for the next campaign.

Not for me. IMHO he's currently fifth choice for centre midfield (after Davis, Saville, Norwood and C.Evans).

As for other positions. Well, he's not a right back. Right midfield perhaps? I'd like to have seen him given 90 minutes there.

Have to agree with Clint. Norwood's far too important to us to replace. And at 27, I can't see him being fazed out of the lineup for a few more campaigns unless form or fitness drops.

If McNair was making a name for himself at club level in the exact same position, and doing the same role, then I'd be inclined to think differently. But that isn't happening.

On 11/19/2018 at 9:34 PM, GPJim said:

As for their singing shouting of the NA. 

Not sure if you were there at the time, but about 10 seconds after they arrived, one of them dropped and smashed his bottle of Bucky. 

Yes, I saw that Jim. I think the reason they were there was to do their N.A. shout. I’m sure they saw none of the game.