OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
RichardM

Squad v Estonia 21.3.19

Hopefully the squad announcement this week, would like to see the inclusion of Mark Sykes who has been playing well since his debut a few weeks ago, also the likes of Tom Flanagan and Paul Smyth who are getting good game time. The omission of Aaron Hughes and McAuley is now inevitable as Michael must surely look to the future. 

32 minutes ago, RichardM said:

Hopefully the squad announcement this week, would like to see the inclusion of Mark Sykes who has been playing well since his debut a few weeks ago, also the likes of Tom Flanagan and Paul Smyth who are getting good game time. The omission of Aaron Hughes and McAuley is now inevitable as Michael must surely look to the future. 

not sure if Sykes is ready yet

Would agree with Flanagan and Smyth, goalscoring is the main problem most of our strikers firing blanks!

be interesting to see who MON selects as GK

I think the squad anouncement will be the following week, the clubs are due to be informed tomorrow i believe.

I'm would be surprised if Sykes will be involved, he has played i think 3 games at League 1 level, if we need to go to League 1 for midfielders, McGeehan and Thompson would probably be ahead of him.

Like yourself i hope to see Paul Smyth and Tom Flanagan involved, Flanagan is now our 3rd choice CB unless Michael fancies playing McNair in that position. Again i agree with you about Hughes and McAuley neither are playing atm so shouldn't be in the squad although Michael might want McAuley there for his experience.

I really hope to see a couple of quality new players named and am going to be a bit disappointed if there aren't any, although that article posted on here from the Irish News in January were Michael spoke about speaking to eligible players who didn't want to play for us doesn't inspire confidence.

With looking through whats available, i am finding it hard to find enough defenders for the squad with Smith, McLaughlin, Hodson all injured and Aaron Hughes & even Bobby Burns not playing.

My Squad - I have only named 23 as i really can't find defensive options to make it up to the usual 25-26 man squad.

BPF, McGovern, Hazard

Evans, Cathcart, Lewis, Flanagan, McAuley

Davis, McGinn, Evans, Ferguson, Norwood, Saville, McNair, Jones, Whyte, Dallas

Lafferty, Magennis, Boyce, Grigg, Smyth

I'd go with this

MCGOVERN BPF HAZARD

MCNAIR CATHCART EVANS FLANAGAN LEWIS FERGUSON

SMYTH DAVIS SYKES NORWOOD EVANS DALLAS SAVILLE JONES WHYTE MCGINN

LAFFERTY GRIGG BOYCE MAGENNIS

*assuming it's a 23 man squad. 

It has already been mentioned in another thread... but to put things into perspective.. below is a list of the 33 players that have been in the squad recently. Players in red are almost certainly unavailable due to injury.  Players in orange have had very limited game time/starts recently due to injury or being dropped. I can't honestly remember going into a campaign being this thin on the ground. Not to mention key players retiring after the Euros too or the fact that hardly any of our strikers are finding the net for club or country either.  I suppose it is 'just' Estonia and Belarus (I hope that doesn't come back to haunt me).

Goalkeepers: 

Michael McGovern (Norwich City),

Trevor Carson (Motherwell),

Bailey Peacock-Farrell (Leeds United),

Conor Hazard (on loan at Falkirk).

Defenders: 

Aaron Hughes (Hearts),

Gareth McAuley (Glasgow Rangers),

Jonathan Evans (Leicester City),

Craig Cathcart (Watford),

Conor McLaughlin (Millwall),

Patrick McNair (Middlesbrough),

Jamal Lewis (Norwich City),

Michael Smith (Hearts),

Lee Hodson (Rangers),

Tom Flanagan (Sunderland),

Bobby Burns (Livingston, loan).

Midfielders: 

Steven Davis (Southampton),

Niall McGinn (Aberdeen),

Corry Evans (Blackburn Rovers),

Shane Ferguson (Millwall),

Stuart Dallas (Leeds United),

George Saville (Middlesbrough),

Oliver Norwood (Middlesbrough),

Jordan Jones (Kilmarnock),

Gavin Whyte (Oxford United),

Jordan Thompson (Blackpool).

Forwards: 

Kyle Lafferty (Rangers),

Connor Washington (Sheffield United)

Josh Magennis (Bolton Wanderers),

Jamie Ward (Charlton Athletic loan),

Liam Boyce (Burton Albion),

Paul Smyth (on loan at Accrington),

Will Grigg (Sunderland)

Kyle Vassell (Rotherham United).

18 hours ago, chopper1 said:

not sure if Sykes is ready yet

No harm to young Sykes, who may develop into a decent player in time, but the only reason we might even consider him is if there is absolutely no-one else, not because he is remotely near international standard.

I mean, he has played precisely three senior games in f-t football, and that in the third tier, for a side who are so skint they're reduced to bargain basement signings (in his case from the IL) and loans etc. And who are in severe danger of playing next season in the fourth tier.

18 hours ago, chopper1 said:

Would agree with Flanagan

In the circumstances, I agree we have to consider him. But I do hope people are not being fooled by his current "Sunderland/Big Club" tag. His record shows that he is essentially a 3rd tier player, with around 150 games at that level or below, plus a season or two in the second tier, by the age of 27:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Flanagan_(footballer)

And to put that in perspective, Rory McArdle has over 400 games at those levels, including 33 this season for Sc**thorpe, and he's still "only" 31:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_McArdle

No-one who ever saw eg his horror show in the late, unlamented Carling Nations Cup fiasco in Dublin would ever consider him to gain another cap.

But he could point to his CV and make a case for saying it compares favourably with Flanagan's, for instance. 

This is depressing.

We need to name 7 defenders. The starting 4 plus ideally another left-back and 2 center-backs one of whom can cover right-back. If we assume Jonny, Cathcart and Lewis start if fit, then it's a choice of various midfielders filling in at RB  (Dallas/ McNair/ Corry), plus Flanagan, Ferguson and one last go for McAuley?

18 minutes ago, Floreat Ultonia said:

We need to name 7 defenders.

At least.

With 3 x gk's in a 23 man squad, I'd expect Michael to go 8 x defenders, 8 x midfielders and 4 x strikers.

blast from the past though Danny Lafferty has been playing regulary for Peterboro, surely he could be called up ?

what has happened Luke McCullough?

33 minutes ago, chopper1 said:

what has happened Luke McCullough?

Grant McCann loaned him out to Tranmere from Donny, where he has played very regularly in a team newly promoted from non-League, which is currently pushing for another promotion (to League One) via the play-offs:

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=69031

My guess is that McCann decided that after his injury record, Luke needed regular game time more than anything, and he (GMcC) perhaps couldn't rely on him staying fit for a Donny side which itself is pushing for promotion to the Championship?

Anyhow, when I recently described Luke's background in the game to a Tranmere mate (highly rated youngster at Man U etc), he nodded and said that that explained the touches of class which he displays at that level.

3 minutes ago, EalingGreen said:

Grant McCann loaned him out to Tranmere from Donny, where he has played very regularly in a team newly promoted from non-League, which is currently pushing for another promotion (to League One) via the play-offs:

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=69031

My guess is that McCann decided that after his injury record, Luke needed regular game time more than anything, and he (GMcC) perhaps couldn't rely on him staying fit for a Donny side which itself is pushing for promotion to the Championship?

Anyhow, when I recently described Luke's background in the game to a Tranmere mate (highly rated youngster at Man U etc), he nodded and said that that explained the touches of class which he displays at that level.

hopefully he can regain fitness and play in the championship with Doncaster next season