OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
RichardM

Squad formation v Estonia

11 hours ago, Clint said:

Peacock-Farrell

McNair        J. Evans        Cathcart        Lewis

Davis            C. Evans          Saville

Washington                                                            Dallas

Grigg

I can see it starting this way too. Except maybe McGinn in place of Washington.

Very nicely laid out too, Clint! :thumbsup:

I have an inkling MO'N might start Washington up top, let him knock himself out for about an hour or so before his lack of match fitness kicks in

Given Lafferty's decline, he's the nearest we have to an effective weapon as a lone striker in a competitive international situation. And he's been lively and a threat previously even with a lack of club game time  

With all the injuries and players off form, hats off to anyone who calls the correct XI!

One person who is in good form and playing regularly is Ferguson, who hasn't got a look-in yet on this thread.

2 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

One person who is in good form and playing regularly is Ferguson, who hasn't got a look-in yet on this thread.

You're right but with Lewis likely to play left back, Dallas probably in front of him (unless he plays right back, which is unlikely), that leaves no place for Ferguson.

2 hours ago, PeteM said:

CW has said before that he's not suited to playing out wide. He prefers to play through the middle as part of a two.

That said, I suspect he'd be happy to get a game anywhere: apart from an hour in a 1-0 home FA Cup defeat by Barnet :o, CW has played precisely 7 minutes for Sheff U this year, in 2 sub appearances. Has yet to score this season:

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=68000

So if a choice between the two, it surely has to be McGinn - experienced, plays on the right, in decent form, getting games and the odd goal.

2 hours ago, peteram79 said:

I have an inkling MO'N might start Washington up top, let him knock himself out for about an hour or so before his lack of match fitness kicks in

Given Lafferty's decline, he's the nearest we have to an effective weapon as a lone striker in a competitive international situation. And he's been lively and a threat previously even with a lack of club game time  

See above.

Peacock-Farrell

Dallas Cathcart Evans Lewis

Savile McNair Davis

Smyth Grigg Whyte

These are two we really need to win - positive from the off, get at them and have a go imo. Smyth and Whyte both to start for me

I'm amazed Conor Washington was named in the squad, has played little or no football, think Michael may be giving him a confidence boost with his inclusion. 

1 minute ago, RichardM said:

I'm amazed Conor Washington was named in the squad, has played little or no football, think Michael may be giving him a confidence boost with his inclusion. 

agree with this add Hughsie and McLaughlin too

34 minutes ago, RichardM said:

I think you are right, he might also be trying to help put him in the shop window as well, as i doubt Sheff Utd will give him a new contract at the end of the season.

BPF

McNair, Cathcart, J Evans, Lewis,

Saville, C Evans, Davis

McGinn, Grigg,  Dallas

Don't like McNair at RB but with McLaughlin not playing I can see it. Corry is the natural replacement for Norwood. BPF most likely to be our main man for a while so pick him and hopefully the confidence will follow. 

Grigg/Magennis/Boyce is hard to call. They all have different strengths without genuine international quality. Josh has been favoured for a while, but I think we need to give Grigg a chance with some support round him.

McGinn has been in ok form recently so him and Dallas (if fit; Jones if not) from the off; two home games we need to win so the pace of Smyth and Whyte on after 60 mins of either game if we need a goal.

Lewis, Cathcart, Jonny, Davis and Saville pick themselves, although Davis's lack of form/gametime is worrying.

f**kING INTO THEM!

8 hours ago, PeteM said:

6 hours ago, EalingGreen said:

So if a choice between the two, it surely has to be McGinn - experienced, plays on the right, in decent form, getting games and the odd goal.

Actually, on reflection, the pair of you are probably right.

8 hours ago, PeteM said:

Very nicely laid out too, Clint! :thumbsup:

B)

Team I think MON will pick:

Peacock-Farrell

C. Evans           

Dallas        Davis           Saville          Ferguson

Magenniss

I would like to see:

Peacock-Farrell

Davis          Saville

Whyte                                                                       Dallas

Grigg   Smyth                       

13 hours ago, Tarabonga said:

MON will find a place for magennis.

God knows why though....

Maybe wide right. With McGinn (or Ferguson) then on the left. Dallas then slots into right back, as he has done for Leeds. One of the midfield three covers Dallas's side of the pitch, allowing Magennis less tracking back.

What I don't necessarily agree with, but do see likely:

BPF

Dallas          Cathcart      Evans         Lewis

C Evans

Davis          Saville

Magennis                                 McGinn

Lafferty

I have a suspicion that Lafferty will start up top in the event of playing with one central forward. We know that Grigg has less of an impact playing as a lone striker, and the rest aren't as tried and tested (in MON's eyes).