OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
exhausted

Other groups

5 minutes ago, exhausted said:

Did make me laugh reading the comments on twitter from both rangers and Celtic fans saying how it made a change from him being biased against them 

He's not biased, he's just utterly sh*te! 😂

How I see things at the moment.  Whilst there are a good few fixtures remaining I think we can start to pick out which groups and teams within them we need to be cheering on.

At the start of working this out I was confident, by the time I had went through each group I’m a little concerned, although one or two results can change a group very quickly.  

With 8 playoff spots available…

Group A – Possibly 1 spot.

England (+) will qualify.  It’s between Kosovo (-) and Czech Rep (+) for 2nd spot.   We want the Czechs’ to get it.   If Kosovo do, that’s 1 playoff spot gone.

Group B – 0 spots.

Ukraine look a shoe in and Portugal should have enough quality to see them through too.

Group C – 0 spots

Netherlands and Germany, otherwise this exercise is pointless.

Group D – 1 spot

Two of ROI, Denmark and Switzerland will qualify.  The other will take a playoff spot.

Group E – Possibly 2 spots

Hungary are the worry here.  If they get a top two place, it will leave Croatia, Wales and Slovakia for the other qualifying berth.  The unlucky two will then go into the playoffs.

Group F – Possibly 1 spot

Spain are as good as through.  We want Sweden to follow them.  Romania and Norway are the worries.

Group G – Possibly 1 spot

Tight group.  Poland on top and hopefully will see it out.  Austria, Slovenia and Israel for the other place.  We want Austria to qualify.

Group H– 1 spot

France, Turkey and Iceland.  Pick any two from that, the other will take a playoff spot.

Group I – 0 spots

Belgium and Russia should both qualify from this group.

Group J – 1 spot

Italy are as good as through.  Bosnia are looking very unlikely to get 2nd place.

And yes I am trying to occupy my mind until this afternoon......

57 minutes ago, Big Phil said:

How I see things at the moment.  Whilst there are a good few fixtures remaining I think we can start to pick out which groups and teams within them we need to be cheering on.

At the start of working this out I was confident, by the time I had went through each group I’m a little concerned, although one or two results can change a group very quickly.  

With 8 playoff spots available…

Group A – Possibly 1 spot.

England (+) will qualify.  It’s between Kosovo (-) and Czech Rep (+) for 2nd spot.   We want the Czechs’ to get it.   If Kosovo do, that’s 1 playoff spot gone.

Group B – 0 spots.

Ukraine look a shoe in and Portugal should have enough quality to see them through too.

Group C – 0 spots

Netherlands and Germany, otherwise this exercise is pointless.

Group D – 1 spot

Two of ROI, Denmark and Switzerland will qualify.  The other will take a playoff spot.

Group E – Possibly 2 spots

Hungary are the worry here.  If they get a top two place, it will leave Croatia, Wales and Slovakia for the other qualifying berth.  The unlucky two will then go into the playoffs.

Group F – Possibly 1 spot

Spain are as good as through.  We want Sweden to follow them.  Romania and Norway are the worries.

Group G – Possibly 1 spot

Tight group.  Poland on top and hopefully will see it out.  Austria, Slovenia and Israel for the other place.  We want Austria to qualify.

Group H– 1 spot

France, Turkey and Iceland.  Pick any two from that, the other will take a playoff spot.

Group I – 0 spots

Belgium and Russia should both qualify from this group.

Group J – 1 spot

Italy are as good as through.  Bosnia are looking very unlikely to get 2nd place.

And yes I am trying to occupy my mind until this afternoon......

Don't Kosovo already have a playoff spot? How does that affect things?

14 minutes ago, norniron93 said:

Don't Kosovo already have a playoff spot? How does that affect things?

As far as we are concerned I believe its irrelevant. 

If they finish 3rd they are guaranteed (due to being a Nations League Group Winner) a playoff spot but in Path D.

5 minutes ago, Big Phil said:

As far as we are concerned I believe its irrelevant. 

If they finish 3rd they are guaranteed (due to being a Nations League Group Winner) a playoff spot but in Path D.

Sorry, I'm being an idiot - misread your original comment!

17 minutes ago, Richardh said:

Was speaking with more than one person yesterday who thinks finishing third in this current group gets us a play off. It's all too complicated....

The IFA or AONISC or someone with a decent following needs to post the actual qualification rules on social media. It'll stop 101 arguments.

12 minutes ago, hughes18 said:

The IFA or AONISC or someone with a decent following needs to post the actual qualification rules on social media. It'll stop 101 arguments.

Wikipedia isn't bad, nice colours and all https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying#Play-offs_2

It will become clearer after next month's games once teams start confirming qualification.

Copied over from the Germany Post Mortem thread as it wil probably get lost in there.

I'm going to have a go at explaining in simplish terms how the playoffs work. Its a bit of a long read but i think it makes it as clear as possible.

There were four separate leagues in the Nations League tournament with 4 groups in each league, each group winner was guaranteed a playoff place, so that means there are currently 16 teams guaranteed play-off places, every other team that didn't win their group was put into a ranking table for their league based on their results in their group, we are in last place in our league (so that means ranked as the 24th best team, as there are 12 teams in League A and 12 in League B.).

Fast forward to the current Euro 2020 qualifiers, the teams that finish 1st & 2nd in their groups automatically qualify for the finals, that is a total of 20 teams, those 20 teams have to be removed from the Nations League rankings, some of those 20 teams will have had playoff places secured but will now no longer need them, those playoff places need to be filled and this is done by using the rankings table.

The process starts at League D and works its way up to League A:-

In League D; Georgia, North Macedonia, Kosovo & Belarus won their Nations League groups and are in the play-offs, out of those 4 teams only Kosovo are currently in a position to automatically qualify from their Euro 2020 group, so if Kosovo's Euro 2020 group finished that way they would not need their playoff place and it would move down to the next team in the rankings table for League D which is Luxembourg. That completes the League D playoffs.

In League C; Scotland, Norway, Serbia & Finland won their Nations League groups and are in the play-offs, out of those 4 teams only Finland are currently in a position to automatically qualify from their Euro 2020 group, so if Finland's Euro 2020 group finished that way they would not need their playoff place and it would move down to the next team in the rankings table for League C which is Bulgaria. That completes the League C playoffs.

In League B; Bosnia & Herzegovina, Ukraine, Denmark & Sweden won their Nations League groups and are in the play-offs, out of those 4 teams, Ukraine, Denmark & Sweden are currently in a position to automatically qualify from their Euro 2020 groups, so if those groups finished that way that would be 3 playoff place's needing filled, the next three teams in the rankings table are  Russia, Austria & Wales, currently Russia wouldn't need the playoff place so its moves down to the next team in the rankings which is the Czech Republic . That completes the League B playoffs.

In League A; Portugal, Netherlands, England & Switzerland won their Nations League groups and are in the play-offs, out of those 4 teams, Portugal, Netherlands (they are 3rd in our group but we will say they finish in the top 2 with Germany) & England are currently in a position to automatically qualify from their Euro 2020 groups, so if those groups finished that way that would be 3 playoff place's needing filled, the next three teams in the rankings table are Belgium, France & Spain, none of those three teams currently would need a playoff place, so we go to the next three; Italy, Croatia & Poland, none of those three teams currently would need a playoff place, we still need 3 teams and their are only two teams left in the League A rankings; Germany and Iceland, Germany don't need the place but Iceland do so that leaves us with Switzerland and Iceland in the League A playoffs so two teams are needed to fill out these playoffs, so we move down into the League B rankings table, the next two teams available are Slovakia and Turkey, neither of those teams currently would need a playoff place, so we go to the next two which are ROI and ourselves, currently the ROI don't need a playoff place but we would if we finished 3rd so that is us in the League A playoffs, one team is still needed to fill out the League A playoffs and the League B rankings table is complete, so we move down to the League C rankings table the next team is Israel who would need a playoff place, so that would complete the League A playoffs as being Switzerland, Iceland, NI & Israel.

The highest ranked team is at home to the lowest ranked team in each set of playoffs so for us that would be Switzerland vs Israel and the second highest ranked team is at home to the third ranked team so that would be Iceland v Northern Ireland, the two winners of those one-off games play each other to decide who goes to the Euros, who gets home advantage for that final is decided via a draw in November 2019 before the two semi finals have been played.

As Matchday 6 has now been completed the playoffs would be as follows (again we will assume that Germany & Netherlands automatically qualify) :-

League A - Switzerland vs Hungary

League A - Iceland vs Israel

League B - Bosnia & Herzegovina vs Northern Ireland

League B - Austria vs Wales

League C - Scotland vs Bulgaria

League C - Norway vs Serbia

League D - Georgia vs Belarus

League D - North Macedonia vs Kosovo

1 minute ago, RaveDave said:

As Matchday 6 has now been completed the playoffs would be as follows (again we will assume that Germany & Netherlands automatically qualify) :-

League A - Switzerland vs Hungary

League A - Iceland vs Israel

League B - Bosnia & Herzegovina vs Northern Ireland

League B - Austria vs Wales

League C - Scotland vs Bulgaria

League C - Norway vs Serbia

League D - Georgia vs Belarus

League D - North Macedonia vs Kosovo

Excellent work RaveDave, just one addition to make. Hidden in the rules (only really explained properly in the media briefing) is that if there are more teams from one league qualifying for play offs than open slots in their section then a draw takes place. In the scenario above this means one of BUL/ISR/HUN will be drawn to play Scotland. The remaining two are then allocated to the open slots in A giving Switzerland v either ISR/HUN and Iceland v either BUL/ISR.

1 hour ago, exhausted said:

Cristiano Ronaldo now has 93 international goals 

Aye, but how many Miss Worlds?

50 minutes ago, The Laird said:

Excellent work RaveDave, just one addition to make. Hidden in the rules (only really explained properly in the media briefing) is that if there are more teams from one league qualifying for play offs than open slots in their section then a draw takes place. In the scenario above this means one of BUL/ISR/HUN will be drawn to play Scotland. The remaining two are then allocated to the open slots in A giving Switzerland v either ISR/HUN and Iceland v either BUL/ISR.

I wasn't aware of that thanks for the info.