OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
exhausted

Other groups

You'll be pleased to know that the next edition of the Nations League will have an impact on the World Cup qualifiers, exact format yet to be decided.

14 minutes ago, Richardh said:

You'll be pleased to know that the next edition of the Nations League will have an impact on the World Cup qualifiers, exact format yet to be decided.

To be fair I like the element of having a vested interest in the other groups and games, which has been a by-product of this playoff method.  

Also in the years where one 3rd place team his missed out on a playoff we probably would have been that team this year with the makeup of our group.  (although I think only happens for the World Cup not Euros)

6 hours ago, McFaggen said:

Woah... so if we dump the RoI (I'm being polite because it's you) out of the qualification, we'd get the games in Dublin they'd have been allocated?!

I'm in, where do I sign up!

😁😁  Yep two games in Dublin and Spain in Bilbao. 

Any team in the playoffs would know their opponents and fixtures in the finals.  The only caveat is if there are 4 or more hosts in the playoffs.  In the case of League B and League A playoffs it is highly unlikely there will be more than 1 host in each.  Hence a re-draw won't happen.  

A Bosnia, Wales, RoI, NI playoff would probaby suit UEFA (assuming Bosnia didn't win it) as it would sellout the Dublin games in the finals.  Otherwise Dublin will be a hard sell if we are not in it at 185 euros per ticket for most of the stadium.      

This is news to me! Is there already a match schedule or are the dates (and times) of the matches in Dublin and Bilbao yet to be set?

Edit - 

jalgpalli-em-ajakava.jpg

No times on there. Just my luck in that all Dublin games are weekdays so I won't be able to get there (from England) due to work. FFS. Possibility of the one in Bilbao I suppose...

41 minutes ago, richboy said:

This is news to me! Is there already a match schedule or are the dates (and times) of the matches in Dublin and Bilbao yet to be set?

Edit - 

jalgpalli-em-ajakava.jpg

No times on there. Just my luck in that all Dublin games are weekdays so I won't be able to get there (from England) due to work. FFS. Possibility of the one in Bilbao I suppose...

Ffs Mother Teresa throw a sickie! 🤣

1 hour ago, richboy said:

Edit - 

jalgpalli-em-ajakava.jpg

I have come to dread your "I can't get off work for this possible match next year" posts....where there's a will there's a way ffs!!!

(but thanks for posting that nice graphic) 

7 hours ago, Big Phil said:

To be fair I like the element of having a vested interest in the other groups and games, which has been a by-product of this playoff method.  

Too much of an impact though, 8 teams have qualified for play off places they may never use, teams without a win can take their place.

There's good bits to the Nations League (promotion/relegation, small finals tournament, teams in league D getting a run of results) but it's had too much of an effect on the Euros qualifying. 

1 hour ago, bazza said:

Ffs Mother Teresa throw a sickie! 🤣

But think of the childer...

Anyway, I can't just get my mate down to the airport with a drone to get me out of work ycy!

My colleagues and the kids would have a damn good idea I wasn't sick. :owc:

1 hour ago, P.McCarroll said:

I have come to dread your "I can't get off work for this possible match next year" posts....where there's a will there's a way ffs!!!

Don't worry, it'll be another 2 years before I moan about this - you've just prompted me to look up the dates for Qatar. They can't even get that right as the group stages are in term time :face7: 

6 minutes ago, richboy said:

But think of the childer...

Anyway, I can't just get my mate down to the airport with a drone to get me out of work ycy!

My colleagues and the kids would have a damn good idea I wasn't sick. :owc:

Quite frankly I’m sure the kids would love the change for a day or two! 🤣 It’s one thing work thinking they know where you are, it’s another proving it. I’m sure others may have used this approach in the past! :whistling:

The kids would be overjoyed as they'd get their books marked :sarcastic:

On the point of the graphic by the way, (looking at Dublin Arena) will all the stadia temporarily be renamed due to sponsorship of the tournament?

As far as I remember this happened in Nice in 2016.

3 hours ago, gspain said:

😁😁  Yep two games in Dublin and Spain in Bilbao. 

No controversy there at all.

13 hours ago, Clint said:

No controversy there at all.

I don't think Northern Ireland playing two games against a 3rd country in Dublin would be that controversial.  England are likely to be playing their Rof16 game in Dublin also.  I plan to attend all 4 Dublin games unless at a game elsewhere.  Most people down here won't bother though unless we are in it.  If we (RoI) don't qualify then I fear the Dublin games could be a damp squib.  NI, Wales & Poland are probably the only possible visitors in the group stages that could sellout the Aviva. 

We hosted the Europa League Final in 2011 and once Liverpool went out there was no demand for tickets. 

However a NI v RoI playoff final in Belfast or Dublin could be hugely controversial with such a big prize at stake.   

I'd assume that away allocations for semis and finals would still be 5%.

OK for the semi as the higher placed team has earned home advantage, but as the final venues are an open draw 5% would be unfair. Couldn't see uefa being the slightest bit concerned though.

8 hours ago, gspain said:

I don't think Northern Ireland playing two games against a 3rd country in Dublin would be that controversial.

Even after we'd knocked you out, and with God knows how many travelling down for it?

As ever, I'd rather we just avoided one other.

8 hours ago, gspain said:

Most people down here won't bother though unless we are in it.  If we (RoI) don't qualify then I fear the Dublin games could be a damp squib.  NI, Wales & Poland are probably the only possible visitors in the group stages that could sellout the Aviva.

Germany? Holland?