Jump to content
OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
exhausted

Other groups

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Clint said:

Even after we'd knocked you out, and with God knows how many travelling down for it?

As ever, I'd rather we just avoided one other.

Germany? Holland?

 

The Dutch and Germasn cannot visit Dublin for the group stages as they are hosts.  If we don't qualify Spain have 3 games in Bilbao and the other 3 group games are in Dublin.  We could getthe likes of Croatia or Turkey but even then they won't sellout.     

The Rof16 involving England's group winners will sellout no problem.  

I don't think Northern Ireland playing in Dublin v someone else would be a big problem.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gspain said:

The Dutch and Germasn cannot visit Dublin for the group stages as they are hosts.  

:blush: You'd think I would've realised that.

2 hours ago, gspain said:

I don't think Northern Ireland playing in Dublin v someone else would be a big problem.    

Hope you're right.

If we qualify, part of me wants that scenario (it's the only way I'll be able to attend all the games) and part of me doesn't (the potential for stupidity).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I agree* it would be good in terms of the huge support we would have but then that's a double edged sword isn't it?

Is this only the scenario if we qualify via the playoffs though? If we were to qualify directly and the Republic didn't qualify via any means would our games be elsewhere?

 

*Apart from the if bit...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, richboy said:

Yes, I agree* it would be good in terms of the huge support we would have but then that's a double edged sword isn't it?

Is this only the scenario if we qualify via the playoffs though? If we were to qualify directly and the Republic didn't qualify via any means would our games be elsewhere?

 

*Apart from the if bit...

 

This is only the scenario if both ourselves and the Republic and no other host nation are in the same play off route. If we are in the play offs with Denmark instead of RoI then we would be in the Copenhagen/St Petersburg group. Note that it is possible that both ourselves and RoI qualify for the play offs but end up in a different path, in which case we would not be in the Dublin/Bilbao group.

Main draw is 30 November. If two hosts are in one play off route UEFA have set aside a date after the play offs (March) for a redraw if necessary to ensure hosts play at home.

A complete mess of a tournament for travelling fans. Imagine St Petersburg Saturday, Copenhagen Thursday, back to St Petersburg Monday, qualify in 3rd place then make your way to Bucharest for the last 16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The Laird said:

A complete mess of a tournament for travelling fans. Imagine St Petersburg Saturday, Copenhagen Thursday, back to St Petersburg Monday, qualify in 3rd place then make your way to Bucharest for the last 16.

Yip.

Organising yourself for group games is one thing. The knock out phase is an entirely different matter. They could end up with some sparsely populated stadiums in some knock out games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is ridiculously overcomplicated, and unnecessarily so. I suppose the fact that it's all ifs, buts and maybes at this stage doesn't help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly can't see me doing another road trip like we did in 2016.

Total uefa omnishambles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tarabonga said:

Certainly can't see me doing another road trip like we did in 2016.

Total uefa omnishambles.

I agree. This is an awful concept. Great for the cities involved, but horrendous for fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, even if we lose 8 out of 12 competitive fixtures from 2018 to 2019, we'll still probably get a play-off place? Not complaining, but it is weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, davidbr said:

So, even if we lose 8 out of 12 competitive fixtures from 2018 to 2019, we'll still probably get a play-off place? Not complaining, but it is weird.

We would be rewarded in 2020 for performances in 2016-17. It wouldnt matter if we'd lost all 12 games in 2018 & 2019

 

s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Floreat Ultonia said:

We would be rewarded in 2020 for performances in 2016-17. It wouldnt matter if we'd lost all 12 games in 2018 & 2019

 

s

This is why the entire thing is a shambles. The weirdest part of it for me is that:

Portugal won Euro 2016
Portugal won their World Cup group
Portugal won their Nations League Group
Portugal won the Nations League Group A section
Apparantly, Portugal even won "The Nations League"

yet they are not guaranteed to qualify!! They could even come third in current group on goal difference, win a play off Semi and still not make it!! I would love it for them to miss out, to see what UEFA's excuse would be.

Also we have bate Belarus three times since 2016 yet they are two wins away from qualifying, against teams such as Luxembourg, Kosovo etc.

Finally, is it also possible that we WIN our last three matches and still don't qualify?? Is that possible??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope. If we win our last three we'll have dropped only 3 points but Holland would have dropped 9 points.

In fact I think a win v Holland and two draws would also do.

Easy peasy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Tarabonga said:

Nope. If we win our last three we'll have dropped only 3 points but Holland would have dropped 9 points.

In fact I think a win v Holland and two draws would also do.

Easy peasy!

Sounds about right, if we secure a draw in Rotterdam and Frankfurt and beat Holland in Belfast, we end up on 17pts which would probably be enough for 2nd. Going by post match interviews with 3 or 4 of the squad, they still believe we can qualify so you never know, it's going to be very difficult but with Michael in charge, there's still a serious chance it can happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we get 4 points against the Dutch we qualify with a game to spare. They can't then beat our 16 points and we'd be separated by results against each other, not goal difference 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×