OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
exhausted

Other groups

14 hours ago, Clint said:

Even after we'd knocked you out, and with God knows how many travelling down for it?

As ever, I'd rather we just avoided one other.

Germany? Holland?

The Dutch and Germasn cannot visit Dublin for the group stages as they are hosts.  If we don't qualify Spain have 3 games in Bilbao and the other 3 group games are in Dublin.  We could getthe likes of Croatia or Turkey but even then they won't sellout.     

The Rof16 involving England's group winners will sellout no problem.  

I don't think Northern Ireland playing in Dublin v someone else would be a big problem.    

2 hours ago, gspain said:

The Dutch and Germasn cannot visit Dublin for the group stages as they are hosts.  

:blush: You'd think I would've realised that.

2 hours ago, gspain said:

I don't think Northern Ireland playing in Dublin v someone else would be a big problem.    

Hope you're right.

If we qualify, part of me wants that scenario (it's the only way I'll be able to attend all the games) and part of me doesn't (the potential for stupidity).

Yes, I agree* it would be good in terms of the huge support we would have but then that's a double edged sword isn't it?

Is this only the scenario if we qualify via the playoffs though? If we were to qualify directly and the Republic didn't qualify via any means would our games be elsewhere?

*Apart from the if bit...

47 minutes ago, richboy said:

Yes, I agree* it would be good in terms of the huge support we would have but then that's a double edged sword isn't it?

Is this only the scenario if we qualify via the playoffs though? If we were to qualify directly and the Republic didn't qualify via any means would our games be elsewhere?

*Apart from the if bit...

This is only the scenario if both ourselves and the Republic and no other host nation are in the same play off route. If we are in the play offs with Denmark instead of RoI then we would be in the Copenhagen/St Petersburg group. Note that it is possible that both ourselves and RoI qualify for the play offs but end up in a different path, in which case we would not be in the Dublin/Bilbao group.

Main draw is 30 November. If two hosts are in one play off route UEFA have set aside a date after the play offs (March) for a redraw if necessary to ensure hosts play at home.

A complete mess of a tournament for travelling fans. Imagine St Petersburg Saturday, Copenhagen Thursday, back to St Petersburg Monday, qualify in 3rd place then make your way to Bucharest for the last 16.

11 minutes ago, The Laird said:

A complete mess of a tournament for travelling fans. Imagine St Petersburg Saturday, Copenhagen Thursday, back to St Petersburg Monday, qualify in 3rd place then make your way to Bucharest for the last 16.

Yip.

Organising yourself for group games is one thing. The knock out phase is an entirely different matter. They could end up with some sparsely populated stadiums in some knock out games.

This is ridiculously overcomplicated, and unnecessarily so. I suppose the fact that it's all ifs, buts and maybes at this stage doesn't help.