OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
exhausted

Post Mortem

Overall can't be too unhappy with a win and a clean sheet but we should have won by a lot more. 

Lafferty didn't look match sharp at all. There was no movement from him and before he went off he was starting to get involved in a couple of stupid incidents with defenders. 

Mcnair was probably my man of the match. That position definitely seems to be his best one so hopefully gets a chance to keep playing there, though still not sure he should be taking the corners. 

The two centre halves were superb. Lewis and Dallas had good games also. 

Jones was what he usually is, capable of great moments but also very frustrating. 

Peacock-Farrell made one very good save and was generally quite solid bar a few wayward kicks

Magennis looked strong when he came on and seems to have found some close control of the ball. Would like to see him and Ferguson start on Sunday. 

Some positives:

- 3 points 

- a clean sheet

- No bookings and seemingly no injuries?

- Some good individual performances 

- More experience gained for Peacock-Farrell, Lewis, and Jones

Negatives:

- Didn't take enough of the chances created, a familiar recent failing

- Sounded like Davis was a bit off his best? (Hopefully the 90 mins will have done him some good though)

Laffs worked hard done well to set up McGinn's goal otherwise quiet, Magennis had plenty of chances when he came on looked sharp !

enjoyed the McGinn goal great move & finish, wasn't sure about the penalty?

Cathcart & Evans superbly soild, Saville very good & McNair done ok better in 2nd half, vital save at 1-0 from BPF

Lewis & Jones so much potential but final ball or pass not great

happy with the 3 points, did we really  miss Norwood, from MON's comments he may not be back in June maybe September what is the story there?

6 hours ago, chopper1 said:

happy with the 3 points, did we really  miss Norwood, from MON's comments he may not be back in June maybe September what is the story there?

Heard he was annoyed he wasn't picked for the republic squad despite being suspended for the competitive game later that week. 

I would have taken a win in any form. The fact we got the win comfortably in the end was even better. 

I think the performances were generally good and the standard didn't dip with the subs that were made.

Couple of missed chances but nothing to stress about. McNair could try to miss that header another 100 times and score every time. 

Another win Sunday in any form will be good for the confidence and get a bit of a buzz about things for the aways.

Oh also that was never a pen.

Glad of the win and yes it could and should have been more, back 4 were excellent and BPF only had one save to make and he did it well. McNair looked good and Davis was his usual class even without much playing time, Saville put in a good shift. McGinn and Jones worked hard and on looking at the highlights Jones was actually a real thorn in their side at times although he needs to get an better understanding with Lewis. Big Laff was so so, not really a goal threat anymore but worked hard but must admit I thought big Josh was very lively and had 3 shots on target in 10 mins! MON will probably start with the same team again but would not mind seeing a few tweaks in and there and maybe 2 up front. Great win at the end of the day and if we do the same on Sunday a great start to the campaign!  

Good solid result and a decent performance. Cathcart and Evans stood out as the quality players on the pitch. The rest were a real mixed bag. Chuffed to see McGinn on the scoresheet at home.

I’m clearly missing something with Jones. The BT are claiming “Jordan Jones has proved why Northern Ireland and Rangers fans should be licking their lips.” Not based on what I watched. An incredibly frustrating player. Frequent poor touches, too many touches, first touch regularly going backwards, poor end product... in amongst it there was a decent run or two and one good cross. I’d have hooked him for Ferguson much earlier. Early days for him and hopefully he improves, but he really needs to. We’re not always going to have that much of the ball, needs to do more with it.

We’ve played well at times recently without  picking up the results we probably deserved, so it was all about the 3 points  for me. Follow it up with any sort of win against Belarus & it’s job done. 👍 

Happy to start with 3 points. Need at least 10 points out of the first 12 to have a chance of qualification, gonna be tough

I would have liked Michael to have capped young Ballard near the end. I know he's committed to us at the moment but so were Rice and Grealish to the Republic

1 hour ago, Villa Mike said:

I’m clearly missing something with Jones. The BT are claiming “Jordan Jones has proved why Northern Ireland and Rangers fans should be licking their lips.” Not based on what I watched. An incredibly frustrating player. Frequent poor touches, too many touches, first touch regularly going backwards, poor end product... in amongst it there was a decent run or two and one good cross. I’d have hooked him for Ferguson much earlier. Early days for him and hopefully he improves, but he really needs to. We’re not always going to have that much of the ball, needs to do more with it.

I'm not quite sure what to make of him either.  He's clearly an exciting player, not afraid to take defenders on or shoot but he does have a headless chicken feel about him too at times - alot of mis-controlled balls etc.  He's the sort of player you play against weaker opposition, not sure if you play him against the stronger teams at this stage.

Overall can't be too disappointed by a 2-0 win.

Peacock-Farrell again caused us a few nervous moments but more than made up for it with the big save.

Lafferty busted himself but largely had a frustrating night, but made an impact by setting up McGinn for the goal.

Delighted for McGinn - his 1st goal at Windsor I think - great to see how much he clearly loves playing for NI.

Davis was OK.

Atmosphere was average.  It's a good bit off the amazing atmospheres we've enjoyed in the past.  Maybe it'll be abit better on Sunday with people having had time for a few extra pre-match drinks! 

First time I've ever experienced a minutes silence being held before the teams came out.  Seemed strange.

A solid performance and could have been more.

Cathcart streets ahead of anyone else on the pitch, just shows what playing regularly for an on-form team does to you. Evans solid too.

I actually didn't think McNair was great. Shocking miss in the first half and then was lucky when the offside flag (possibly a foul) was raised in the second as he had another poor miss.

Up front continues to be the issue. Lafferty was fairly anonymous and then Josh Magennis was making the right runs at least but he is dreadful when it comes to finishing. Three chances, three shocking efforts on goal. No idea why we persevere with him.

Great start 3 points thought we were a bit nervous but won comfortably in the end

They were poor but still had to beat them and hard with 10 men behind the ball

Thought Cathcart was superb for us and Davis still looks good despite lack of game time

Not sure about the situation with the pitch looked poor i thought we had a full time Groundsman 

Was I the only one that thought Dallas was poor? He had an OK first half, but 2nd half he hardly crossed the halfway line.

Jones was frustrating me last night, but he was involved in the early chance that McNair somehow missed, he almost scored and then was involved in the build-up to the first goal. I think he could have been subbed a bit earlier, as I think the full-back had figured him out.

Lafferty was feeding off scraps, he setup McGinn so suppose that is a positive. I thought Magennis did very well when he came on and absolutely ragdolled their defence. He was unlucky not to score. I though he should have been on earlier too.

McGinn took his goal well and looked like he is getting back on form.

We didn't miss Norwood at all. He might struggle to get back in the team.

BPF was alert and pulled off an outstanding save from Anier.

All in all a decent performance and win, but there is plenty of room for improvement.

Hopefully McLaughlin comes in for Dallas on Sunday and perhaps Ferguson for Jones.