OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
Taz

Minutes Silence

I was in surprisingly early to my seat, well 7:30, and there was a minutes silence, took place with hardly anyone in the ground and no teams and a generic message on the screen.

Anyone know what that was about, was very strange, but didn't the players have black armbands also.

Was it possibly for the Cookstown tragedy and it was not allowed while the team were lined up?

Think the pa said it was for New Zealand and Cookstown, why they couldnt do it just before kick off is strange.

It was very strange. 

Had the IFA been turned down or forgot to ask UEFAs approval to hold it properly when the teams had come out on the pitch? 

The only thing I can think off.

If it was for those events then it was done shambolically, it felt like a practice minutes silence.!! 

It was really poorly done. But then again we have some complete plebs in our support who would have disrespected it if it was right before ko - like the vile c**t came in beside us and said 'I sincerely hope not' when he asked what the silence was for. 

What was he offended about? Children being crushed to death in Cookstown or children being gunned down in Christchurch?

Were the black armbands worn because of Cookstown also?

5 minutes ago, richboy said:

What was he offended about? Children being crushed to death in Cookstown or children being gunned down in Christchurch?

or the 140 odd Christians murdered by Islamists in Nigeria, not a word in the press regarding his?

Or the people murdered in Utrecht or the lady and her daughter murdered in Newry or .........

32 minutes ago, GPJim said:

Or the people murdered in Utrecht or the lady and her daughter murdered in Newry or .........

coud go on & on Jim, the BBC etc. milk certain incidents totally out

There shouldn't be minute's silences at football matches unless there is a connection with those playing.

1 hour ago, hughes18 said:

There shouldn't be minute's silences at football matches unless there is a connection with those playing.

I think that’s pretty much nailed it 

3 hours ago, hughes18 said:

Indeed.

3 hours ago, hughes18 said:

Correct.

A good point. As GPJim and Chopper have pointed out, otherwise where do you stop?