OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
74thminutewonder

Germany or Holland

3 hours ago, McFaggen said:

based on what I saw at Windsor the other night, a loss in Tallin would be horrendous. 

Yes, once was quite enough.

6 hours ago, McFaggen said:

I'm big on putting the expectations on the downlow, but based on what I saw at Windsor the other night, a loss in Tallin would be horrendous. 

Sanchez had NI win twice against Estonia (including in Tallin)... It was Worthington who had us lose there. 

I'm not saying Sanchez lost every game against the wee sides, any more than he won every game against the big sides.

But there was a real inconsistency, sometimes even in consecutive games eg beat England 1-0 (H) then lose 3-2 to Wales (H) four days later; or beat Spain 3-2 (H) four days after losing 3-0 to a crap/one man Iceland (H). Add to that eg draws with Azerbaijan and Malta, or defeats to Canada and Norway and his record was very patchy.

Whereas since Michael got settled into the job (effectively after his first campaign), NI have played 22 qualifiers in the EC and WC, winning 14, drawing 4 and losing 4 (inc twice vs Germany).

Of course he has had some poor results in friendlies, the play-offs and Nations League etc, but when it comes to "bread and butter" games, we have become much more reliable/consistent than under either Sanchez or Worthington. 

2 minutes ago, EalingGreen said:

I'm not saying Sanchez lost every game against the wee sides, any more than he won every game against the big sides.

But there was a real inconsistency, sometimes even in consecutive games eg beat England 1-0 (H) then lose 3-2 to Wales (H) four days later; or beat Spain 3-2 (H) four days after losing 3-0 to a crap/one man Iceland (H). Add to that eg draws with Azerbaijan and Malta, or defeats to Canada and Norway and his record was very patchy.

Whereas since Michael got settled into the job (effectively after his first campaign), NI have played 22 qualifiers in the EC and WC, winning 14, drawing 4 and losing 4 (inc twice vs Germany).

Of course he has had some poor results in friendlies, the play-offs and Nations League etc, but when it comes to "bread and butter" games, we have become much more reliable/consistent than under either Sanchez or Worthington. 

Afraid the pedant in me can't let this one go EG - it was just over a month later!

3 minutes ago, P.McCarroll said:

Afraid the pedant in me can't let this one go EG - it was just over a month later!

You know me, Phil, I'm as big on pedantry as anyone, so can't complain. :thumbsup: