OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
74thminutewonder

Germany or Holland

Some comical defensive errors. 

19 minutes ago, RichardM said:

I thought the winners of Portugal v Holland would get an automatic slot at Euro 2020?

Yes. Actually, edit No.

17 minutes ago, CityofLisburn said:

and I thought if we got third then we automatically qualify maybe wishful thinking

No. Definitely not. If we don't finish first or second in our group then we can only qualify via the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, richboy said:

Yes

No. Definitely not. If the Dutch win then their spot is transferred to the playoffs. Not to the third team in our group. It doesn't matter to us whether the Netherlands or Portugal win.

Thanks for clarification Richboy 

Won't lose any sleep over playing that Dutch team (well I hope not anyway as I'm on the 02.30 aircoach to Dublin airport!!) especially if they keep playing Babel and 'The-Pie' up front.

The nations league winners do not qualify for euros. They still have to finish first or second in their group to do so. Only thing is they are guaranteed a playoff if they fail to qualify.

3 minutes ago, CityofLisburn said:

Thanks for clarification Richboy 

Well, recheck my post which I've just clarified (as I was wrong!)

I was right about it being impossible to qualify from third in a qualifying group though (unless you soon the playoffs).

1 hour ago, GPJim said:

Some comical defensive errors. 

here's hoping John Stones cements his place in the City team for next season

The goal attempt which went in off Walker was truly awful. I have no idea how Promes could have even got his foot into a position to hit that sitter so far wide. 

This should probably be a new thread, but now that we have our 12 points, how do we finish above Germany or Netherlands?

The way I see it Germany and Netherlands will both get 12 points from these fixtures too, but have a better goal difference from them than us. 

So we either need a better head to head record against one of them OR if we take a point off Germany who beat the Netherlands again and we either draw twice with the Netherlands or win one and lose one then we qualify?!? I think I'm right but possibly not. Unfortunately I also think I'm right in saying that we'll not get any more points.

5 minutes ago, richboy said:

This should probably be a new thread, but now that we have our 12 points, how do we finish above Germany or Netherlands?

The way I see it Germany and Netherlands will both get 12 points from these fixtures too, but have a better goal difference from them than us. 

So we either need a better head to head record against one of them OR if we take a point off Germany who beat the Netherlands again and we either draw twice with the Netherlands or win one and lose one then we qualify?!? I think I'm right but possibly not. Unfortunately I also think I'm right in saying that we'll not get any more points.

Have to agree with your last sentence unfortunately . Heart says now we have 12 points we have a chance at home against Germany and the Dutch but head says NO. We might sneak a draw against one of them but even that wont be enough if we loose the other 3 games.

We could very well take points off both of them and still not qualify. Who knows though. Watching the highlights (I say highlights, but it was basically just tossing the goals) from Germany v Estonia tonight didn't give me much hope. I watched Netherlands v England the other day which doesn't give me much hope either but that would be an easier route.