OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
74thminutewonder

Germany or Holland

So who do we want to win in the match between Germany and Holland on Sunday?

I think I'm leaning towards a German victory and Germany running away with the group.

That would mean Holland would only have 3 points going into the autumn matches and, although the Dutch will have played 2 matches less, we could be up to 9 points ahead of Holland come September (unlikely I know but realistically we will need at least 9 points from the first 4 matches to have any hope).

Another German victory over Holland in September could then leave us 9 points ahead with 4 to play (5 for Holland).

I think we are due some sort of result against the Germans but we're more of an unknown team to the Dutch so I reckon we'd have a better chance of getting a result and surprising the Dutch than the Germans.

I appreciate this will be completely irrelevant if we lose against Belarus on Sunday... 

Can't see Germany running away with anything. They've been average at best in recent times. So prob best if they lose

Germany are on the decline, Holland are back to their best & i expect them to beat the Germans

imo opinion we are playing for 2nd/3rd place with the Germans, i can see the Dutch winning this group

I'm not sure who I want to win their first match, but I do know that I want the winner of it to win the second one as well. That makes sense, right? 

4 minutes ago, Clint said:

I'm not sure who I want to win their first match, but I do know that I want the winner of it to win the second one as well. That makes sense, right? 

No. Are you just referring to the Germany Holland games?

I was thinking 2 draws in the 2 matches between them.

And then we draw away to both, and then beat both of them at Windsor.

Hopefully that should give us enough points to qualify automatically, assuming we don't blow it in the remaining games against Belarus and Estonia!  

No?

2 hours ago, Clint said:

Does, in my brain. 

Germany or a draw then we can top of the group going into June games 😎

10 hours ago, Clint said:

That's what I'm thinking. 

Then we somehow get points off the team that loses both and hope they drop points elsewhere. 

All pretty much down the toilet if we don't win our first four games.

9 hours ago, JCNI said:

I was thinking 2 draws in the 2 matches between them.

And then we draw away to both, and then beat both of them at Windsor.

Hopefully that should give us enough points to qualify automatically, assuming we don't blow it in the remaining games against Belarus and Estonia!  

No?

Spot on. Two draws means that a potential 6 points ends up being 4.

Germany 2
Netherlands 2

Then if we nick a draw or a win over one of them we are on.

Wins are always better than draws (for that team) as it is a total of 3 points gained, whereas a draw is 2 points gained. So every draw from those teams means 1 point gained for us in theory. 

And on top of that 0-0 draws with 6 red cards (3 each) are even better.

11 hours ago, Clint said:

Agree. We want, say Germany to win both games against holland. Then if we were to beat the Dutch at Windsor big if I know. . Then the most the Dutch could accumulate is 15 points. Assuming they beat Estonia and Belarus Home and away and beat us in Holland. 

So it's essential for us to pick up 12 points against Estonia and Belarus, to stand any chance. 

11 hours ago, BringBackShaggy said:

No. Are you just referring to the Germany Holland games?

Yip.

If one of them takes all six points, from their games against one another, then (obviously) the other team gets nothing. Whoever gets the six points disappears off, over the horizon, with the group. We then hope to pick off the loser.

Personally I'm hoping Holland take all six. We can then pick off Germany as revenge for Euro '84. After all, it is a dish best served cold.:devil:

That would mean taking 4 points off Germany, assuming that we both take 12 off BEL and EST.

I think our best chance is to take 12 off BEL and EST, beat GER and HOL at home, and hope one of them slips up away to BEL (or EST).

I'll certainly not be putting any money on that..............

Any of you watch Germany in the second half vs Serbia? One of best performances from an average in decline team I've ever seen.