OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
Norniron1989

Post Mortem

I was at the match tonight. I'm delighted for Magennis that he got his goal, as he now needs to start ahead of Lafferty and hopefully this gosl helps make his case.

Sorry to say it, but Lafferty is done. We're playing him as a lone striker and he has hardly won a header during either of the matches against Estonia or Belarus - so, how do we fancy his chances against Virgil van Dyk? 

Magennis is by no means elegant, and clearly not as talented as Kyle (when he is on form). However, Lafferty has now failed to score for us in 2 years. Magennis' hold up play is substantially better than Lafftery's, as proven by his lay off and run into the box for his goal.

I'd also say that Paddy McNair's free kick and corner delivery is far better than Norwood's, which is another good outcome from tonight.

Jones is something of a 'headless chicken', lot of skill but keeps giving the ball away...and then when he did hit a good low cross in the first half, Lafferty didn't gamble, Surely he could have made a better attempt. Laffs, too, ought to have done better with the headed chance he had just before he was hooked. Thought he could have had more support from Saville and McNair. All too often he was alone in the box up against 2 or 3 defenders.  McNair wasn't really getting forward enough, if he was meant to be playing as a '10'. Also, for their goal, we could have let the ball run out for our throw in, had we not tried to play our way out of it, right in front of the North Stand, and then lost the ball.

McNair ended up at Right back, didn't he, with Dallas further forward and Josh helping Boyce in the middle....just what we needed, with Josh there for the goal...

I wonder how many times McGinn has started and got substituted? put another decent shift in, although at times I thought he could have moved towards the box more, instead of hogging the touchline....maybe trying to get on the end of Jones' wayward crosses.

Thought Davis was a lot better tonight than he was against Estonia (thought on Thursday night, in the first half anyway, he looked a bit rusty).

9 hours ago, eightball said:

Anyone else exasperated with Jones? Gimme Ferguson every time please!

You’re essentially keeping him on for the 2 or 3 explosive bursts a game. The price for that is giving the ball away 15-20 times... so I guess it’s a gamble.

I’d have him as an impact sub all day long, Ferguson would offer more across 90 minutes. O’Neill doesn’t like to have too many diddy men on at once mind, which counts against Ferguson.

Thanks to the joys of youtube I came across this analysis which makes much more sense that most people.I'm not saying he's 100 percent right or that I agree completely but sometimes it's good to see what a neutral thinks. 

Not pretty but I'll take it.

BPF did well and both CBs superb as usual. Dallas' fault for their goal, he really can't defend.

McNair was excellent I thought and Davis pretty solid too. Saville was quite disappointing though. Jones is incredibly wasteful and frustrating.

Lafferty reminds me of the latter Healy years, plenty of effort but just no longer good enough. I'm not a fan of Josh but he did much more than Lafferty and took his goal very well so deserves a start next time out for me.

McNair was MOTM for me. His reaction to the goal showed what it meant to him

Jonny and Craig are solid every game, Lewis is getting better and Dallas is well capable of playing that role.

Their goal come from Saville not letting the ball go out for a throw and trying to keep it in and then we lost possession.

Jury is out on Jones , but to be fair to him a few of those crossfield balls are hard to control without the defender kicking you over the line. Laff is done, offers nothing and should have scored. Another big confidence builder for BPF.

Overall we have six points so job done.

Still smiling about last night 🙂

Jones seems to be a player who's going to split opinions.  Half the people commenting online seem to think he was one of the best players last night and half think he was terrible.  I know he's clearly a handful for defenders but I found him frustrating for large spells last night and was glad when Ferguson came on.

Wasn't convinced beforehand about BPF, but he's justified his selection in the last 2 matches.  Some big saves in both games.

I've always liked big Kyle but if he doesn't regain his form at club level I don't think he should start again.  Hasn't been good the last 2 games.

Big Josh did brilliantly for the winner.  Pleased for him as he's clearly a great bloke.  Hopefully he doesn't mind us singing the new version of his song.

Jamal Lewis was excellent I thought.

Atmosphere was good last night.  No complaints about it.

We've a good chance of beating Estonia out there.  Belarus away will be difficult.

Similar to Thursday's game. Plenty of the ball, plenty of the ball in the opponents half, positive and lively but lacking a bit of quality in the final third and not making many good chances from a high shot count. We're still a bit of a work in progress but a decent three points.

Belarus were much better than Estonia, the away game there will be an awkward one.

Reading a few things about The N. Irish Ronaldo last night and a few are pretty disparaging against him for having no end product, being wasteful etc  

I can see where people could get that opinion but for me he offers something different from everyone else in the team.   His pace and running at defenders is a massive positive and whilst people are complaining about his wastefulness with crosses etc, for me he’s putting them into ‘an area’ where attackers, midfielders could/should be attacking them. 

He’s been a big plus for me the last two games. 

23 minutes ago, Big Phil said:

Reading a few things about The N. Irish Ronaldo last night and a few are pretty disparaging against him for having no end product, being wasteful etc  

I can see where people could get that opinion but for me he offers something different from everyone else in the team.   His pace and running at defenders is a massive positive and whilst people are complaining about his wastefulness with crosses etc, for me he’s putting them into ‘an area’ where attackers, midfielders could/should be attacking them. 

He’s been a big plus for me the last two games. 

Wide men generally are terrible at crossing these days, mainly because (as we saw with Lafferty being totally uninterested in gambling last night) one man up front whose main attributes are holding the ball up and linking up with attacking midfielders, rather than getting on the end of stuff, isn't really a set-up where getting good at crossing offers huge amount of value.

So Jones seems overly wasteful mainly because he gets into good positions far more than a McGinn or a Dallas or a Ferguson.

Totally agree that he offers something entirely different and hugely valuable. He's quick in a generally incredibly pedestrian team and he can beat a man where no-one else in our side really can. He's a nailed-on starter now, for me

Still on a high brilliant result and great to get the rub of the green again.

This will give us a bit of confidence going into the 2 away fixtures in June both games that we can win.

We just need  our players getting more game time with their clubs

Hopefully we can get Norwood back in June and also Will Grigg injury free.

I think Stuart Dallas deserves a bit of credit played out of position last couple of games and as usual didn't let us down .

Thought Jones did alright over the two games. His ball led to the goal against Estonia and had laffs been a bit sharper could have been another 2 last night. He became frustrating as we clearly weren't getting any joy from his runs last night and started to give the ball away cheaply so thought he should have been subbed earlier. Still pretty inexperienced at this level, but he's definitely got potential to be an important player moving forward.

Im a fan of Jones, it was his 7th?cap and I think in years to come he will set up and score some big goals, these games are vital for him and although wasteful on a number of occasions he will definitely get better. Paddy McNair is another who is starting to show what he is about and was excellent over both games despite a lack of playing time with Boro, with players coming back and now competition for places, Michael now has some nice headaches, in fact, whatever the problem with Norwood, he's no longer a guaranteed starter which now shows the strength of the squad. As an aside my wee niece got to walk out with Laff as one of the mascots.. she's still smiling! 

I 100% agree we need Jones in the team; he offers something different. We will need that in the next, more difficult games, but i would be surprised MON goes with both him and McGinn, one will surely be sacrificed fro Corry/ Norwood. Very direct, attacks the box. Although his end product leaves something to be desired, he's young and one would expect that to develop and improve. He isn't helped by Lafferty's (lack of) movement in the box. The position and space Josh found would surely suit him better over a full 90 minutes. However, Belarus often had 8 players parked on the six yard line at times.

Atmosphere and performance was much better than Estonia, helped having the extra drummer in. Brought the wee lad up for his first competitive fixture in the Kop , he puked with excitement following Josh's goal!!