OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
Norniron1989

Post Mortem

Glad to get the first part [ 2 home wins ] done, second part for the 2 away games will not be easy. A win against Estonia should be achievable not so sure how we will fare against Belarus. For all their movement and  possession in Sundays game they never really created that much, if we can cope with the odd bit of pressure from them I think they will offer up a few chances for us so lets hope we can take what comes our way.

One thing that I noticed was the players pointing and shouting at each other more than in previous games. It looked like they were not always sure where each other should be, maybe this is down to the change in style and new players coming into the team. From the disappointing results of the Nations League its good to see we have got back to winning ways. We didn't always get the results we deserved in those matches even though we played quite well in most of them.

4 minutes ago, green port said:

Glad to get the first part [ 2 home wins ] done, second part for the 2 away games will not be easy. A win against Estonia should be achievable not so sure how we will fare against Belarus. For all their movement and  possession in Sundays game they never really created that much, if we can cope with the odd bit of pressure from them I think they will offer up a few chances for us so lets hope we can take what comes our way.

One small thing which might help us is that when we're playing in Estonia, Germany are playing in Belarus.

So that by the time we get there, Belarus could well have lost their first three games in the group, effectively ending any faint hopes they had of finishing second, or even third?

In fact, a good hiding by Germany could really demoralise them.

(Well I did say it was a "small thing")

Haven't read the thread, so maybe been said before.

See when we get a corner. Occasionally kick it straight into the box. Stop f**king about playing it short then have to beat a defender.

1 hour ago, GPJim said:

See when we get a corner. Occasionally kick it straight into the box. Stop f**king about playing it short then have to beat a defender.

Well said - and I'd like to see a few more having a go from outside the box. Sure it could go in row Z but it could also go in the top corner, the odd time anyway

1 hour ago, GPJim said:

Was the first goal not from a short corner? As long as the resulting ball in beats the first man I'll be happy 

43 minutes ago, exhausted said:

Was the first goal not from a short corner? As long as the resulting ball in beats the first man I'll be happy 

It's allowed if we score. Otherwise, down with that carry on. :biggrin:

Was from a short corner that was crossed in straight away. Nothing more frustrating than taking it short, fannying around then inevitably hitting the first defender/ending up playing it back to defender or GK which for some reason we seem to have become masters at recently! We have always been a threat from set pieces so just stick it in the box!

Before, more often than not, it wasn't getting past the first man. Now, more often than not, it's a pass to a player on the halfway line.

11 hours ago, Huntsman88 said:

We have always been a threat from set pieces...

We have always had McAuley, too...

11 hours ago, Huntsman88 said:

... so just stick it in the box!

Other teams are so well prepared these days that we can't just keep doing what we've always done, in the hope that the other team won't/can't come up with something to counter it.

Which is not to say our short corner routines are as good as they should be, but these things take time to perfect.

11 hours ago, Drew said:

Before, more often than not, it wasn't getting past the first man. Now, more often than not, it's a pass to a player on the halfway line.

It winds me up that McNair is taking corners and him one of our taller players and supposedly better headers off the ball, acceptable if his delivery was fantastic but it is anything but surely Davis should be taking set pieces!

27 minutes ago, omaghexile said:

It winds me up that McNair is taking corners and him one of our taller players and supposedly better headers off the ball, acceptable if his delivery was fantastic but it is anything but surely Davis should be taking set pieces!

I know Davis is good and all, but I'm not sure even he could take a set piece, then run into the box to flick it on for Evans to convert...:whistling:

Anyhow, it seems between 25-33% of all goals scored come from set pieces, so whilst it is far too small a sample to be statistically reliable, one from four in our last two games is about right.

Of course, certain coaches/teams have managed to increase that significantly, most notably Simeone at Atletico and Pulis at Stoke, with even Ferguson getting in on the act in his last two seasons at Man U!

But as this blog demonstrates, the key to this is that it takes an incredible amount of practice on the training pitch, and whilst Michael clearly works on innovative routines (esp free kicks), there can only be so much time an international manager can dedicate to this aspect of the game:

https://statsbomb.com/2017/02/changing-how-the-world-thinks-about-set-pieces/

On 3/26/2019 at 2:43 PM, EalingGreen said:

One small thing which might help us is that when we're playing in Estonia, Germany are playing in Belarus.

So that by the time we get there, Belarus could well have lost their first three games in the group, effectively ending any faint hopes they had of finishing second, or even third?

In fact, a good hiding by Germany could really demoralise them.

(Well I did say it was a "small thing")

Every little helps.....

On 3/26/2019 at 7:27 PM, GPJim said:

100%

On 3/26/2019 at 7:27 PM, GPJim said:

Spot on, I’d like to see some players take a shot at the goal rather than trying to walk the ball into it.