OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
hughes18

Squad v Estonia (A) and Belarus (A)

27 minutes ago, EalingGreen said:

Crikey, it really is that bad, isn't it.

I'd be tempted to play Ferguson at LB (Smith at RB), to allow Dallas to play somewhere up front, since he sometimes has a goal in him if given an attacking role.

cannot drop Lewis or do you mean to play him out of position?

5 minutes ago, chopper1 said:

cannot drop Lewis or do you mean to play him out of position?

Oops!  :doh:

In the absence of Brunt and Norwood, I was thinking only of Ferguson for his set pieces. :blush:

So yeah,  Lewis at LB, Fergie in LM and Dallas up front, either right or left.

1 hour ago, EalingGreen said:

I know we've never been strong up front, but that really is the weakest attack I can remember coming in for a serious, competitive fixture list.

While I don't dispute the validity of your overall argument, unless my memory deceives me, in the late 90s, we were still picking Big Dowie when he'd already effectively retired from club football to go into coaching at QPR. While current striking options are, admittedly, uninspiring, to say that this is the barest the cupboard has ever been may be stretching it

1 minute ago, peteram79 said:

While I don't dispute the validity of your overall argument, unless my memory deceives me, in the late 90s, we were still picking Big Dowie when he'd already effectively retired from club football 

True, and we were crap then.

Andy Smith is another more recent one - and we were really crap then, too.

But whether the better,/same/worse than before,  I'm really concerned about how we're going to score with the present lot.

If nothing else, we played very defensively until a couple of years ago, so that a single goal from a set-piece (McAuley?), or a late winner (Dallas in Baku?) could often be relied upon to do the trick.

And I guess we can still hope to scrape past crap teams like Estonia or Belarus, even away from Belfast.

But German or Dutch defences are a whole different kettle of fish: Big Josh against Virgil Van Dyke anyone? :o

BPF

Smith  Cathcart  Evans  Lewis

McNair  Davis  Saville

Dallas  Magennis  Jones

Dallas good option at right back for home fixtures but with McGinn out and Smith (probably our best player in Nations League) back I reckon will go with the above. Although Whyte may be a better goal threat will go with tried and trusted.

Also disagree on posts saying weak forward line. We've capped people like Lee McEvilly, James Quinn, Adrian Coote etc. I'm optimistic about some of the younger players and I reckon Josh Magennis will be a talisman for us in this campaign. Raises his game when he pulls on the green shirt.

4 minutes ago, TOON ARMY GAWA said:

BPF

Smith  Cathcart  Evans  Lewis

McNair  Davis  Saville

Dallas  Magennis  Jones

Dallas good option at right back for home fixtures but with McGinn out and Smith (probably our best player in Nations League) back I reckon will go with the above. Although Whyte may be a better goal threat will go with tried and trusted.

Also disagree on posts saying weak forward line. We've capped people like Lee McEvilly, James Quinn, Adrian Coote etc. I'm optimistic about some of the younger players and I reckon Josh Magennis will be a talisman for us in this campaign. Raises his game when he pulls on the green shirt.

How has that legend been grouped in with those two? 

Peacock-Farrell

Smith          Cathcart          J. Evans          Lewis

Saville           Davis          C. Evans

McNair                                               Dallas

Magennis

1 hour ago, exhausted said:

How has that legend been grouped in with those two? 

Not questioning his attitude. The suggestion in earlier post was about quality.

He was a hard working player but lacked any quality. Handful of goals (can think of 3) in 50 odd caps. Played at League 1 level most of his career. 

Smyth, Whyte, Boyce have stood out at League 1 level, Magennis while inconsistent has shone in some Championship games this season and Lafferty's 2nd highest goals of all time.

The squad really has deteriorated since the halcyon days of Euro 2016 qualifying.  No wonder we can’t score away from home with those forwards.

3 hours ago, hughes18 said:

Hahaha it's enough to make you rethink your main hobby.

Just checked, I'm on 48 away "nils", hopefully the big five oh doesn't come up too soon!

11 minutes ago, Richardh said:

Just checked, I'm on 48 away "nils", hopefully the big five oh doesn't come up too soon!

that's a lot of firing blanks !

16 minutes ago, Richardh said:

I have just gone an entire season without seeing United or Ards win a game Richard and the folk down here are calling ME a blink 🙄

Never kept a record myself of all the NI games I've attended so I can't even hazard a guess how many 'nil' aways are in there but I would have to guess it's quite a few (understatement of the year there I think!!).

Yet to see us score away from home (excluding the Euros).

Czech Republic, Germany, Norway, ROI and Austria so far.

First and foremost we must be solid defensively so a natural RB plays (probably Smith) and Dallas wide left or right.