OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
chopper1

Line up V Belarus

starting line up for me similar to the 11 that finished V Estonia we need 2 up front and play 4-4-2 must win game

Peacock-Farrell

Dallas

Cathcart

J.Evans

Lewis

McNair

Davis

Saville

Jones/Whyte

Magennis

Washington

Personally I would keep Magennis and Jones on the bench again. As well as they did yesterday, I think they are better suited as impact players in the 2nd half when the game opens up. 

I would make two changes from yesterday's side - Washington in for Boyce upfront and I would bring in C. Evans in for Saville in Midfield. 

A bit harsh on Saville but I feel we need a natural Defensive midfielder in against Belarus. We can't afford to give Hleb the same space and time as we did against Vassiljev yesterday.  This would free Davis to play higher up the pitch, arguably still are best creative player and I thought McNair made more of an impact yesterday than Saville and linked up well at times with Whyte and Washington.

No no no, corry evans offers zero creativity. Sure he is better in defense but lets be positive and play an attacking minded team.

Defensive strategies against the so called weaker teams have rarely worked

19 minutes ago, eakin said:

No no no, corry evans offers zero creativity. Sure he is better in defense but lets be positive and play an attacking minded team.

Defensive strategies against the so called weaker teams have rarely worked

I'm not suggesting we play a defensive strategy. Simply I think we would have better balance with Corry in the holding role. Better at pressing, ball winning etc, meaning Davis can get further forward and also Davis is far more creative than Saville. 

Having said this, I wouldn't have a problem with Saville starting again on Tuesday. 

I'd like to see us go with:

Peacock-Farrell

Smith Cathcart J.Evans Lewis

McNair  Davis  Saville

Dallas                             Jones

Magennis

Magennis' form surely means that he deserves to start. And he'll be useful on set pieces at both ends.

Jones' pace and direct running makes him the winger that the Belarus defenders are probably most hoping will be left out. I think it's worth being bold from the start in this one

O'Neill said he might need to freshen it up. Washington not had a lot of club time though so don't know if he has 90 in him.

McNair is bizarre to me - hoping he grows into his role. Not terrible on dead balls but a strange use for him atm

4 minutes ago, Good_Seasons_NI said:

Washington was fantastic but he said on Sky Sports today that he was shattered after 45mins so not a chance he'll play more than 45 on Tues

well he has played so little this season so no wonder, still got something about him so same again for 45 mins and he will be impressing a few club sides

Peacock-Farrell

Smith            Cathcart          J. Evans          Lewis

Dallas      Davis       C. Evans      Saville      Jones

Magennis

Probably a bit harsh on Whyte, but Jones has to start. 

Corry coming in for Paddy is a bit of an obvious one IMHO.

Washington may well deserve a start, and I wouldn't argue if Michael put him in, but I think it's to be even hotter in Borisov, so I'd keep him on the bench. 

Peacock-Farrell

Smith  Cathcart  Evans  Lewis

McNair  Evans  Davis

Whyte Magennis  Jones

Belarus only lost 2-0 to Germans. This will be even more difficult than Estonia game. Need Corry Evans to help track back so I expect him to start. Think will freshen up team a wee bit so will bring in Magennis with Washington now the obvious sub to bring on for him and will start Jones based on his impact as sub on Saturday. Dallas put in serious shift so I expect Whyte to get the nod.

id have Dallas in at right back, and start with Jones , Boyce and Washington. We have too many players who are not capable of playing for 90 mins especially in that heat so its a case of giving a big 60 mins for a few boys then making a change.

The boys must be on a massive high after that result, especially given the way we played for the last 15mins. 

No reason why we cant get a result on Tuesday night

Dallas is a big O'Neill favourite but there's a case for him not starting here - didn't play well in Estonia. Whyte & Jones have the greater pace and Dallas is certainly no fullback.

McGovern

Dallas Cathcart Evans Lewis

Whyte Davis McNair Jones

Magennis Washington

Have to go for it and won't be easy!

Ahead of the Estonia game I was sceptical about suggestions that the temperature (about 20 degrees) was going to be a big factor.

It does look like it's going to be hotter in Belarus tomorrow. The BBC's weather page is saying it will be 28 degrees. But at least the humidity isn't listed as being too oppressive.

Nevertheless, it will be important to use the ball well and, ideally, not have to go chasing the game. Hopefully our midfield three have a big game - there's enough quality in there with Davis, McNair, and Saville 

1 hour ago, omaghexile said:

McGovern

Dallas Cathcart Evans Lewis

Whyte Davis McNair Jones

Magennis Washington

Have to go for it and won't be easy!

Id be very surprised if he changes goalkeeper