OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
lisbellawloyal

Post mortem

We somehow are finding a way to win and in the closing stages of games as well when hope is fading, its down to the manager who has got into their heads and given them that belief. The team and fans are on a high at the minute and with Mick in charge I would not be surprised if we beat Holland at home. 

Unbelievable effort over the two games. To be honest the team looked knackered 2nd half which is understandable but thankfully Paddy took the game by the scruff of the neck and sorted it all out.

Was surprised when Josh got taken off for Dallas cause was hoping to move him into the middle to give us a target man to get on the end of a Jones cross but hey ho. Was worried it was going to peter out to a draw. Just so glad we got over the line. 

Glad to see Paddy get his moment in the spotlight. Hopefully the first of many, cause he gets himself into some great positions. With a bit more composure he'll hopefully find the back of the net more often.

I think we need Josh in the middle..

Surprised that Smyth and Whyte weren't on the bench. Maybe they had knocks, for surely one of them could have taken the place of McGovern or Hazard?

We looked very tired last night, and some very loose passing, wasn’t a great performance but we got the job done.

if Germany beat the Dutch it’s essentially a play off between us and the Dutch. A 0-0 in Rotterdam and a win at Windsor under the floodlights to qualify, what dreams are made of. #GAWA

If Jones can develop an understanding with one of our forwards (Magennis / Washington realistically) then we have the potential to be very dangerous from the wing.  But we also looked like we wanted to play through the middle and Saville, Lewis and sometimes McNair all look like they are capable of driving the ball into the box. 

It's great to see a style develop, my only concern is that playing more 'football' means we will do better on aggregate against poorer teams, but lose some of the backs-to-the-wall grit that has helped us out against superior sides.

Bags of belief to get over the line with another late goal, being mentally engaged for the full 90 in that heat and at the end of the season is not easy at all.  Great to see.

Paddy McNair has arrived! Great goal, great performance.

What a shift from Washington for 70 mins. Never stopped running and had a couple of decent efforts. Imagine if he gets a good club situation sorted and gets match fit next season.

Hope springs eternal.

What Paddy needs now is regular games for his club, if he gets that I think there is far more to come from him.

I am absolutely over the moon at four wins out of four. I never thought we would manage it. Certainly before Michael took over we would have drawn or lost the away games. His MBE should be upgraded to a knighthood after we qualify! 

A laboured performance and sloppy at times, but job done.

Absolutely no arguments with the team selections for both games. I was just surprised when Magennis came off before Washington against Belarus, but in fairness the growing threat down the Belarus left side needed help from the likes of Dallas.

Washington put in a hell of a shift and with the right club move, should be back to his best for Germany & Holland. TBH I thought Boyce would have come on for him, with a different ability to hold the ball up and let more players advance to the box. But I reckon MON's insructions to Lafferty were "go out and wind up the big number three, really unsettle him", which probably helped disrupt their back line.

All we need now are for some of our players to make the right decisions ahead of next season re their club situations, get a good pre-season in and hit the start of next season running.

Also, did we miss Norwood over these four games? Well, we got by without him. But because Davis was deployed differently, he wasn't the attacking threat he has been in the past. IMO we need his craft further up the centre of midfield v GER/NED.

Excellent away trip (bar a couple of idiots in Estonia...)

Cathcart and Lewis the two standouts for me over the two games, J. Evans not too far behind.

22 hours ago, purplehaze said:

What a shift from Washington for 70 mins. Never stopped running and had a couple of decent efforts. Imagine if he gets a good club situation sorted and gets match fit next season.

Pleased to admit I got it wrong on CW's own thread, where I dismissed him (and his prospects) somewhat. :blush:

For over the two games, not only did he show his usual commitment, but there was no shortage of quality either.

And as you say, to keep that up against Belarus for 70 minutes was astonishing - I had thought he might have to be subbed at H-T, or maybe after an hour (tops).

"Virgil Van Dyke? Wee buns!" ;)

1 hour ago, PeteM said:

A laboured performance and sloppy at times, but job done.

Were you out there, Pete? The heat and humidity was v.oppressive, and Estonia was even worse. I think we can make allowances, and expect them to be much sharper in the autumn.

Absolutely no arguments with the team selections for both games. I was just surprised when Magennis came off before Washington against Belarus, but in fairness the growing threat down the Belarus left side needed help from the likes of Dallas.

Washington put in a hell of a shift and with the right club move, should be back to his best for Germany & Holland. TBH I thought Boyce would have come on for him, with a different ability to hold the ball up and let more players advance to the box. But I reckon MON's insructions to Lafferty were "go out and wind up the big number three, really unsettle him", which probably helped disrupt their back line.

All we need now are for some of our players to make the right decisions ahead of next season re their club situations, get a good pre-season in and hit the start of next season running.

Also, did we miss Norwood over these four games? Well, we got by without him. But because Davis was deployed differently, he wasn't the attacking threat he has been in the past. IMO we need his craft further up the centre of midfield v GER/NED.

All of this. :thumbsup: