OUR WEE COUNTRY
pjc

Belarus rubles

Folks,

I'm sure that many of you ended up with a few notes and/or coins which if you are like me, will sit on a bedside cabinet for a year and then get thrown out. My mate and I tried to get them exchanged for something (anything) at Gatwick currency exchange but they are not accepted outside of Belarus.

My friend fundraises for a multiple sclerosis charity in Belarus, recently raising £1,500 thanks to the generosity of the patrons of Clandeboye Golf Club. He visits the country regularly to make sure the funds raised are  spent well, and although I was very impressed with standards in the country on our visit, I'm guessing that MS isn't a high priority for the government.

If you would like to donate any unspent and unused BYN to the charity, please PM me and I will arrange to collect it or get it from you somehow. It seems a shame to let funds that we can't spend or convert sit idle when there is a good use that could be made of them. Our running total for the two of us is a mere 35BYN or £13.50 but as the saying goes, every little helps.

Thanks in advance,

pjc

Happy to donate my unspent cash rubles to this worthwhile charity. 

Happy to donate mine too, unfortunately it's only 10 or 15 byn, I'll add some euros also if they can be used / converted. 

What's the best way to collect them, maybe send your address and I'll stick in post

Stick this on the Facebook site too pjc, you'll get a bigger audience (though not as discerning...:whistling:)

Thanks guys for your generous responses. I'll PM you to arrange getting the rubles and gather up as many as I can for the charity.

@Taz, I am expecting that most of us will only have 10 or 15 rubles as, well, there were plenty of bars and restaurants that would take it of us (!), but if 660 fans travelled and most will have some currency back, it could accumulate to a decent sum.

@Tarabonga, thanks for FB suggestion - I'll do that too now.

:owc:

It would be good PR for the IFA if they had a collection box at Windsor Park for supporters to donate their unused foreign currency after away matches.

1 hour ago, BringBackShaggy said:

I’ve around seven odds in coins but yours if handy to arrange.

Cheers mate. I'll talk to the IFA and keep the thread updated when I get an answer 

11 minutes ago, Ernie said:

It would be good PR for the IFA if they had a collection box at Windsor Park for supporters to donate their unused foreign currency after away matches.

Good idea @Ernie I'll see what they think 

Let me know details PJC, I've 20-odd BYN left. Not much but all adds up as you say.

3 hours ago, Ernie said:

That's a great idea and perhaps worth trialling for this great cause for Belarus. Fans being able to drop the money in at IFA reception. 

I guess most trips are Euros and people tend to hold on to them but even so would be great to get that going 

1 hour ago, hughes18 said:

Let me know details PJC, I've 20-odd BYN left. Not much but all adds up as you say.

Cheers mate, PM sent.

3 minutes ago, Taz said:

That's a great idea and perhaps worth trialling for this great cause for Belarus. Fans being able to drop the money in at IFA reception. 

I guess most trips are Euros and people tend to hold on to them but even so would be great to get that going 

I'm going to run this past the IFA on Monday and will update the thread accordingly. I would suggest that Euros and most other currencies are different in that they can be used more widely and/or exchanged, but the BYN can't so there is literally nothing that can be done with them except spending them inside the country.

Great initiative pjc. :thumbsup:

I have 10 Roubles left over - will wait to see if some donation scheme is set up, otherwise pm me an address and I'll pop them in the post.

4 minutes ago, EalingGreen said:

Great initiative pjc. :thumbsup:

I have 10 Roubles left over - will wait to see if some donation scheme is set up, otherwise pm me an address and I'll pop them in the post.

Cheers mate, that's great. I'll PM you now