OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
glenn30

Starting 11 v Germany

3 minutes ago, EalingGreen said:

Washington isn't a midfielder

Thanks for clearing that up, my point being he wasn't 'ready' for the last matches but still performed. 

Something that Corry/Saville and others will have to do regardless of how match fit they are.

2 minutes ago, green port said:

We cant afford to have Jones and Lewis on the same side [ left ]of the pitch and expect to defend properly, they would both get roasted

OK, stick Jones on the right and eg Dallas on the left in front of Lewis.

Anyhow, what I guess I'm saying is that it's a choice between identifying your ideal formation, then trying to select players for it, whether match-fit or not; or, starting with your best/fittest 11 players, then selecting a formation which best suits them.

Considering how few players we have just now, I tend towards the latter - but what do I know? :lol:

Liam Donnelly and Jordan Thompson were always standouts for the 21s any time I saw them play, they are now both progressing nicely and will definitely be featuring for the seniors on a permanent basis very soon, I would also add the name of Ethan Galbraith who in the next 12-18 months could be fast tracked into the seniors as Michael has name checked him quite a bit recently, could be the successor of Davis. When you also list the current midfield set up it's definitely our strongest in years, even with the loss of Norwood so not looking too bad. 

3 minutes ago, Huntsman88 said:

Thanks for clearing that up, my point being [Washington] wasn't 'ready' for the last matches but still performed

True. Then again, it was Estonia and Belarus he was up against, not Germany or Netherlands. (If you don't mind me clearing that up.)

3 minutes ago, Huntsman88 said:

Something that Corry/Saville and others will have to do regardless of how match fit they are.

If the players are as good as, or better than, their opponents (eg Estonia/Belarus) then you can maybe get away with their being less than fully fit.

But to ask them to match superior opponents while also being unfit - that's a huge ask. (If you don't mind me pointing that out, too ;))

On 8/15/2019 at 12:15 PM, PeteM said:

BPF

McLaughlin - Cathcart - Evans - Lewis

McNair - Davis - Norwood - Saville - Dallas

Washington

Think we'll see Conor McLaughlin back in, he's played 90 mins three times now for Sunderland. The energy of McNair and Dallas will be used wide to stem the threat from the German fullbacks.

Assuming Norwood is available again (and obviously MON will have been speaking to him since pulling out) then he'll be in midfield instead of Evans (or possibly Saville with Evans in). Corey Evans has only played a cup game so far for Blackburn. 

Washington up front, assuming he gets some game time between now and then. Then select from Whyte/McGinn/Jones/Magennis/C.Evans to change the game after an hour depending on how things are going.

I'm updating to this and sticking with it.

BPF

Dallas - McNair - Davis - Saville - McGinn

Washington

Unless Michael does something leftfield/fortuitously genius and starts Magennis on the right of midfield, or something like that.

As sprightly as Jones is, I just can't see him starting against Holland/Germany. These games require experienced heads down both sides of the pitch and through the middle.

13 minutes ago, PeteM said:

I'm updating to this and sticking with it

BPF

Dallas - McNair - Davis - Saville - McGinn

Washington

BPF, Cathcart, JEvans, Lewis, McNair, Davis and Saville are probably nailed on as above and Dallas will start somewhere. McLaughlin or Smith for right back, I'm not convinced by Jones but I'd still start him ahead of McGinn and I would also start with Washington, he's the best of our limited centre forward options right now. 

Peacock-Farrell 

Smith Evans Cathcart Lewis

McNair Davis Saville

McGinn Washington Jones

Dallas playing well at RB for Leeds but a big ask of recently converted winger to play RB against Germany. Worried as Saville not regular at Middlesbrough but with no Norwood he's nailed on starter. Whyte not starting regular for Cardiff so McGinn gets nod. Washington up front as Magennis had a nightmare summer.

Encouraged by club form of McNair and Jones, carrying on from good performances with us. 

1 minute ago, TOON ARMY GAWA said:

Peacock-Farrell 

Smith Evans Cathcart Lewis

McNair Davis Saville

McGinn Washington Jones

Dallas playing well at RB for Leeds but a big ask of recently converted winger to play RB against Germany. Worried as Saville not regular at Middlesbrough but with no Norwood he's nailed on starter. Whyte not starting regular for Cardiff so McGinn gets nod. Washington up front as Magennis had a nightmare summer.

Encouraged by club form of McNair and Jones, carrying on from good performances with us. 

Actually he will go with Dallas on right wing ahead of McGinn.

FARRELL

SMITH    EVANS   CATHCART   LEWIS

MCNAIR  DAVIS   SAVILLE    JONES

MAGENNIS WASHINGTON 

Jones for me has to start, he been excellent for Rangers so far this season so gets the shirt, Dallas to replace him after an hour or so with Whyte for Saville for more attack, we're at home so we have to go for it and think there's at least a point if not 3 with that line up..... as an aside, the Windsor Park crowd will need to be in full voice, it could just be one of those special September nights! 

I think it will be

Peacock-Farrell

Smith - Cathcart - J.Evans - Lewis

McGinn - McNair - Davis - C.Evans - Dallas

Washington

Think all of those players apart from Peacock-Farrell and Corry Evans have been regular starters for their teams this season. 

Whyte and Jones I think have mainly been on the bench and, against Germany, I think he'll opt for the more reliable defensive abilities and experience of McGinn and Dallas.

Corry Evans I think will get the nod ahead of Saville, again on the basis of defensive abilities, especially now that Norwood is not going to be there.(Saville's mainly been a sub for Boro this season too).

And Washington ahead of Magennis looks a certainty given that Magennis has only just got himself a club and hasn't had any game time. He's also looked better for us off the bench.

O'Neill can look to Magennis, Jones, Saville, or Whyte if he's trying to change the game late on 

From tonight's games:

Corry Evans: Unused sub again. Only action this season has been 63 mins in last week's lucky 3-2 home win over Oldham (Lge 2);

Josh Magennis - came on after 67 mins in Hull's 1-0 home defeat to B'burn;

Paddy McNair - full 90 mins as Boro beat Wigan 1-0;

George Saville - came on for last 23 mins in above game. Aside from 90 mins in the Lge Cup, only other action has been 5 mins in season opener;

Lee Hodson - 90 mins in Gills' draw with Blackpool. Played all of Gills' four games this season;

Jordan Thompson - 90 mins in above game;

Liam Boyce - 90 mins as Burton beat Oxford 4-2 away. Didn't score;

Conor McLaughlin - 90 mins as Sundland won 2-1 at Rochdale;

Will Grigg - came on after 53 mins in above game;

Tom Flanagan - unused sub (above game)

We need to go for experienced players [ as much as we can ] in this game from the start. We cant afford to go behind early like we did the last time we played them. If we can stay in the game for an hour or so then maybe throw on the likes of Jones or Whyte or McGinn and maybe see if we could nick 3 points.

I think loosing this game wouldn't be that bad as I feel the games against the Dutch will be more important. Assuming Germany beat the Dutch when they play them then it comes down to a double header with us and the Dutch and I think we might have more chance of beating them than we do Germany.

BPF

Smith-Evans-Cathcart-Lewis

McNair-Davis-Saville-Evans-Dallas

Washington

1 hour ago, green port said:

We need to go for experienced players [ as much as we can ] in this game from the start. We cant afford to go behind early like we did the last time we played them.

Agree experience is hugely important, but ideally we also need players who are "match ready" i.e. have a good pre-season and 4 or 5 competitive games under their belt.

For if we have even 2 or 3 players who are a bit rusty, needing 20 mins to play themselves in to the game, then it might not be just one goal we concede early on.

If we have decent alternatives (big "if" admittedly), I'd prefer to see C.Evans and Saville on the bench, to come on for the last 25 mins if we need to hang on (CE), or chase the game (GS).

1 hour ago, green port said:

I think loosing this game wouldn't be that bad as I feel the games against the Dutch will be more important. Assuming Germany beat the Dutch when they play them then it comes down to a double header with us and the Dutch and I think we might have more chance of beating them than we do Germany.

Realistically our best chance of coming second requires:

1. Germany beat Neth at home;

2. We take a point off Germany;

3. We share the points with Neth (2 draws or a win and a defeat).

We could well see one of those occurring, with a decent chance of two, but honestly speaking, I can't see all three. :(

Still travelling to all our four remaining games, though :thumbsup:

Worried and surprised that Corry Evans is warming the bench at Blackburn. Has been a real regular for them up til now.