OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
richboy

Playoffs

Now that a playoff is guaranteed (and our only route to Wembley) I thought it was a good time to start a thread on it.

A couple of questions regardless of who / where we play:

Will VAR be used? I'm assuming not although I'm assuming it will be at the finals.

Do yellow cards / suspensions carry into the playoffs?

I don't think var will be used for playoffs but yes will be used for finals.

Wondered about suspensions myself.

'Cautions and pending yellow-card suspensions expire on completion of the
qualifying group stage. They are not carried forward to the play-offs nor the final
tournament.'

Good news as I think we have 3 players on two bookings.

On the UEFA website for the current playoff scenario they indicate that the Republic could be drawn into pathway A. I thought this wouldn't happen, due to their host status, but maybe it depends on who else finishes in the playoffs.

Current standings

On the basis of the current European Qualifiers standings, the following teams would be involved in the play-offs (teams in bold confirmed):

Path A: Iceland, Bulgaria/Israel/Romania*, Wales/Slovakia/Republic of Ireland/Northern Ireland**
Path B: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Wales/Slovakia/Republic of Ireland/Northern Ireland**
Path C: Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Bulgaria/Israel/Romania*
Path D: Georgia, North Macedonia, Kosovo, Belarus

*In the current scenario, a draw would decide which of Bulgaria, Israel or Romania would fill the empty slot in Path C, and which two would go into Path A.

**In the current scenario, a draw would decide which three of Wales, Slovakia, Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland would join Bosnia and Herzegovina in Path B, and which one would go into Path A.

11 minutes ago, richboy said:

On the UEFA website for the current playoff scenario they indicate that the Republic could be drawn into pathway A. I thought this wouldn't happen, due to their host status, but maybe it depends on who else finishes in the playoffs.

The regulations (quote below) state "may" and "subject to approval". I suspect until the relevant committee approve (probably morning of the draw) then they need to keep the option open.

Additional conditions may be applied, subject to approval, including seeding principles and the possibility of final tournament hosts having to be drawn into different paths.

2 hours ago, richboy said:

Current standings

On the basis of the current European Qualifiers standings, the following teams would be involved in the play-offs (teams in bold confirmed):

Path A: Iceland, Bulgaria/Israel/Romania*, Wales/Slovakia/Republic of Ireland/Northern Ireland**
Path B: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Wales/Slovakia/Republic of Ireland/Northern Ireland**
Path C: Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Bulgaria/Israel/Romania*
Path D: Georgia, North Macedonia, Kosovo, Belarus

*In the current scenario, a draw would decide which of Bulgaria, Israel or Romania would fill the empty slot in Path C, and which two would go into Path A.

**In the current scenario, a draw would decide which three of Wales, Slovakia, Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland would join Bosnia and Herzegovina in Path B, and which one would go into Path A.

Looking at path B, I think it would be good to avoid Wales. If they beat Hungary, will that mean that Hungary would replace them in that Path B list? 

20 minutes ago, Simon-613 said:

Looking at path B, I think it would be good to avoid Wales. If they beat Hungary, will that mean that Hungary would replace them in that Path B list? 

No if Wales win, that leaves 4 teams in Path B, Hungary will either be in Path A or C.

A Wales win and Denmark qualifying out of the ROI's group would mean the Path B playoffs would be Bosnia v NI and Slovakia v ROI.

A Wales win and a ROI win would mean the Path B playoffs would be Bosnia v NI and Denmark v Slovakia.

42 minutes ago, RaveDave said:

No if Wales win, that leaves 4 teams in Path B, Hungary will either be in Path A or C.

A Wales win and Denmark qualifying out of the ROI's group would mean the Path B playoffs would be Bosnia v NI and Slovakia v ROI.

A Wales win and a ROI win would mean the Path B playoffs would be Bosnia v NI and Denmark v Slovakia.

Thanks. The 1st scenario looks the better one for us - Bosnia, and then the winner of Slovakia vs ROI. Would like to avoid Denmark

2 hours ago, Kilrea_NI said:

Bosnia away would mean a very small ticket allocation I assume. How many did we get last year - 650 or so?

Yes, I believe it was 650. 

Though a playoff may be played in Zenica (capacity of 15k, so approx 750 allocation) or Sarajevo's much larger stadium (capacity 34k, so approx 1700 allocation).

Play-off line-up

Path B: 

Bosnia and Herzegovina, Slovakia, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland

Away to Bosnia and Herzegovina on Thursday 26 March and then (hopefully) v Slovakia or Republic on Tuesday 31 March (home or away TBC).

Booked Dublin to Sarajevo via Istanbul there £260

night in Istanbul 

matchday and night in Sarajevo 

night in Istanbul 

Turkish Airlines 

Northern Ireland v Slovakia @ Windsor Park... 31.3.2020 has a nice look to it! Think we'll know on Friday who has home advantage for the final. 

4 minutes ago, RichardM said:

Northern Ireland v Slovakia @ Windsor Park... 31.3.2020 has a nice look to it! Think we'll know on Friday who has home advantage for the final. 

We are due a bit of luck in this campaign, so that means we probably won't get any.