OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
ARdsfc1

Russia

In the event that we draw Russia next week, bear in mind that Russian visas are now biometric, which means that you have to have your fingerprints taken in Manchester, London or Edinburgh. Not so bad for folk in or near those cities but additional cost for us living in NI. Irish passort holders can have this done in Dublin. Please check this out yourselves in case I am missing something.

For anyone based in NI, simply chop your fingers off, send them to the North of England NISC, and we'll do the rest. No charge 👌

4 hours ago, ARdsfc1 said:

In the event that we draw Russia next week, bear in mind that Russian visas are now biometric, which means that you have to have your fingerprints taken in Manchester, London or Edinburgh. Not so bad for folk in or near those cities but additional cost for us living in NI. Irish passort holders can have this done in Dublin. Please check this out yourselves in case I am missing something.

I visited Russia in late 2018 and it was an absolute bollocks to get the visa, despite working in London during the week. If they tell you the visa will take 30 days to process, expect an email on the morning of Day 30 to say that it's ready. 

When I went to Russia for the world cup I used a company called Real Russia. They did all the work getting the visa set up and I have to say they were very efficient and very helpful. Any e-mails I sent asking questions were answered very quickly.

I went to London to have my finger prints taken and it is a pain in the ass having to do that. It literally only took about 10 minutes to have them taken.  

On 2/26/2020 at 11:38 AM, ARdsfc1 said:

No Dublin option? 

On 2/26/2020 at 11:38 AM, ARdsfc1 said:

No Dublin option? 

And besides all of that, are Russia not banned from international sport at the moment? 

11 minutes ago, McFaggen said:

And besides all of that, are Russia not banned from international sport at the moment? 

Not quite. Subject to appeal, they're banned from  "major" i.e. global events like the Olympics or World Cup, but UEFA counts as "regional":

St Petersburg’s role as host city in next summer’s European football championships is not included in the ban as Uefa is not considered a ‘major event organisation’.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/dec/09/russia-banned-from-tokyo-olympics-and-football-world-cup

On 2/27/2020 at 6:10 AM, green port said:

When I went to Russia for the world cup I used a company called Real Russia.

When I went to Russia for our Qualifier in 2012, I used Travel Direct of Edinburgh to sort the visa - excellent service all round, though with these new biometric visa requirements, it may not be possible to use a company like them anymore?

Anyhow, more here

On 2/27/2020 at 7:10 AM, green port said:

When I went to Russia for the world cup I used a company called Real Russia. They did all the work getting the visa set up and I have to say they were very efficient and very helpful. Any e-mails I sent asking questions were answered very quickly.

I went to London to have my finger prints taken and it is a pain in the ass having to do that. It literally only took about 10 minutes to have them taken.  

You are aware that you didn't NEED a visa to go to Russia for the World Cup as a match ticket gave you FREE entry to the country for 6 months. $70 US for a ticket for the Cheatz v Serbia and I had a hat-trick of trips to Russia on it. Milked the free visa until the last day.

This summer is the same for all ticket holders for the Saint Petersburg match. 😉

20 hours ago, Jonny said:

You are aware that you didn't NEED a visa to go to Russia for the World Cup as a match ticket gave you FREE entry to the country for 6 months. $70 US for a ticket for the Cheatz v Serbia and I had a hat-trick of trips to Russia on it. Milked the free visa until the last day.

This summer is the same for all ticket holders for the Saint Petersburg match. 😉

I was indeed but couldn't/didn't get any tickets for the days that I was there.